I know this sounds crazy, but it is true! My company changed insurance carriers last June. Previously I was using Oxford & had a minimum co-pay when I would receive 3 boxes of pods every 3 months. I fought for every extra hour that I could string a pod out beyond the regular 3 day limit. In early June 2011 I received a 3 box shipment from Oxford. My company then changed insurance carriers to NYSHIP/Empire & I immediately contacted them about coverage of the pods, praying they would be covered. I was told they would be covered with NO COPAY but that the supplies would come from Liberty Medical who had a contract with NYSHIP/Empire. Well, within 2 weeks I received a shipment of FIVE (5) boxes of pods from Liberty at no cost! It gets better! Every 3 months since then I have been getting 5 more boxes of pods! I now have 11 boxes of pods in my closet! Im in pod heaven. lol. When a pod goes bad I dont even bother to call Insulet to ask for a replacemnet. Yikes. This is NUTS!

Views: 550

Replies to This Discussion

I also had a big stash. I am drawing it down now because smaller pods are on the horizon. I don't want to use bigger pods when smaller pods are available.

I've been trying this strategy with no success! lol It's hard to balance Pod inventory with the release of these seemingly ever-elusive smaller Pods! I giggle when I think about the Insulet rep that told us about the new Pods in development before Caleb even started pumping. 5. Years. Ago.

oooh, i am so jealous! at 24 weeks pregnant, my health insurance decided to no longer cover my pods and wants me to switch pumps asap. :( I've got a few left and am desperately trying to get them to cover me, at least through the rest of the pregnancy.

I'm not comfortable switching pumps in the middle of my pregnancy, so I'm shelling out full cost for pods ($299/box of 10) until my baby is born, then I guess I have to switch to a tubed pump system.

I wish I had your "problem"! :)

The "full cost" varies in the US (this would be illegal in most other countries...)

Insulet are currently trying to charge Blue Cross $360/ten; in fact in my case they billed for 5 boxes ($1800) when they actually only shipped 4 (they admitted this on the telephone).

The price they quoted me last year, when they had checked my insurance coverage, was $256.30/box (that's the full price, not my copay.)

Of course people without insurance coverage always subsidize those with it in the US; that's a fact of life: in a capitalist country the individual ends up paying.

Still that doesn't mean any one of us has to agree with this; paying $300 for what a big corporation pays $256.30 (or, quite probably, less when the Insulet/Blue Cross war is completed, bloody diabetic corpses notwithstanding) merits at least some protest.

John Bowler jbowler@acm.org

It is interesting. I have had two insurance companies, and in order for the pods to be covered with both insurance companies, I have had to order them from a 3rd party supplier. With both insurance companies, I had to pay the "full price" until my deductible was met. With my old insurance, that meant $275. With Blue Cross - $350. Still trying to figure out how that works...

Why won't they cover the Omnipod? Have they been covering it? I think you might have a patient's rights legal issue.

What a cool bonanza! I won't use Omnipod because the ongoing supplies would cost twice as much as other pumps (under my insurance).

I also had a large stash and I'm drawing it down. On my last 4 boxes that I received at the end of July last year

wow, I am so jealous! I've got about 5 pods left and over $1000 I owe to insulet....

John's online dictionary definitions:

Diabetic: hoarder

Not because we want to, but because we're diabetic for life, we're human beings and we learn fast.

I don't have a cache of Omnipods yet. I do, of course, have a cache of insulin and test strips (I tend to aim for 3 months, but I'm in a very stable environment and have a lot of resources.)

I'm leery of a large cache of omnipods; they seem somewhat unreliable and they depend on some small internal lithium cells not dying while they are closeted. Also they depend on the PDM and the compatibility of the pod software with that in the PDM; as a very experienced software person I would never ever bet my life on such issues, it's just too easy to get wrong.

Still, eleven boxes (that's only 330 days at most - less than a year) is probably a reasonable precaution; neither ridiculously large nor dangerously small.

John Bowler jbowler@acm.org

With this change in vendors, it happened to me too but I still have a 3 month supply on hand, who replaces the ones that go bad, the new vendor or omnipod?

I get my pods through CCS Medical but Omnipod has ALWAYS replaced the faulty ones.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service