I know this sounds crazy, but it is true! My company changed insurance carriers last June. Previously I was using Oxford & had a minimum co-pay when I would receive 3 boxes of pods every 3 months. I fought for every extra hour that I could string a pod out beyond the regular 3 day limit. In early June 2011 I received a 3 box shipment from Oxford. My company then changed insurance carriers to NYSHIP/Empire & I immediately contacted them about coverage of the pods, praying they would be covered. I was told they would be covered with NO COPAY but that the supplies would come from Liberty Medical who had a contract with NYSHIP/Empire. Well, within 2 weeks I received a shipment of FIVE (5) boxes of pods from Liberty at no cost! It gets better! Every 3 months since then I have been getting 5 more boxes of pods! I now have 11 boxes of pods in my closet! Im in pod heaven. lol. When a pod goes bad I dont even bother to call Insulet to ask for a replacemnet. Yikes. This is NUTS!

Views: 556

Replies to This Discussion

Insulet (Omnipod); the quality of the product is a matter between you and Insulet, because *you* are the one who paid. The insurance company is just a separate business that covers some of your costs, but insurance pays *you*.

Oh, Ok, I know, it's all a big scam; the insurance company works hand in pocket with the supplier and you get cut out. I noticed that with Dexcom; their product didn't work, I didn't pay (fortunately I paid by credit card); I told my insurance company I wasn't paying and they shouldn't, they dissed me and paid out: everyone wins except me.

Now, if US health insurance was like US car insurance things would be different, but it isn't; it's a scam, first perfected by the US Mafia (you have no choice, you have to pay.)

John Bowler jbowler@acm.org

Isn't a box supposed to last a month? That's 10 pods at 3 days @. I figure he's got 33 months of pods accumulated.

Hoard away. This is a totally rational response to managing a chronic disease with our health care system.

It is crazy difficult to figure out the cost between the annual deductible, the DME copay, and finally the contracted rate between the insurance company. This is before considering the uneven experience podders report regarding failures (which admittedly Insulet is very good about reimbursing).

Just make sure you look at the expiration dates on them -- they expire because the internal batteries last only 3 years. If you don't hear the double beep when priming, the battery is dead.

According to my calculations you now have approximately 33 months of pods accumulated. Can you deal with Liberty to have them stop sending you pods until you call and ask for them? That's what I do both when I have a shortage or when I have too much of something. They provide my strips, pods, and CGM sensors. They have been very accommodating. It may depend on your insurance. The pods expire 2 years after they are manufactured so you are most likely going to be fine for quite some time using what you already have. As to no double beep. I always put a pod through the priming process even when I don't get the double beeps. Much of the time they work fine. If they fail to prime, I simply draw the insulin back out using the syringe in the new pod packet I'm going to use. Swab the vile of insulin you use with alcohol and inject air into the vile as per usual. Then carefully swab the opening of the failed pod into which you put the insulin and with the pod upside down draw what insulin you can get out of the failed one. Then I carefully push all the air out of the syringe until no bubbles appear at the top near the needle. Next I swab the vile once again and draw the remainder of what I need from the vile and tap the syringe to push any bubbles to the top near the needle again as you normally do and eject them carefully. Then I alcohol swab the new pod and insert the insulin as per usual. This protocol, of course is not in the Omnipod manual but it works. If the failed pod is not out of date, report it as usual to Omnipod for replacement. Keep in mind that within the time frame of the pods you now have, there are some big changes expected in the size of the pods. I would think that your insurance would not complain when they do not have to pay for pods. My insurance that pays for the pods is a self insured system so it behooves me to keep their costs as low as possible.

Liberty always calls me b4 sending supplies. The next time they call Im going to tell them I have a enough pods to cover the next 3 months & that I dont need anymore.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service