I am seriously considering going on the Omni Pod. What does everyone think of it, is it good for active teens (water, dancing, running.)Does it give people any issues that make life harder. Is it hard to sleep with or malfunction a lot. Does it over dose on anyone or does it help you control your blood sugars to a t. I'm nervous about trying a no tube pump,(I use to have a Cozmo.)Is it s great as I have heard

Views: 213

Replies to This Discussion

Well I'm not a active teenager but I do try to stay active and I LOVE the OmniPod. As a girl, I love the freedom it gives me (wearing dresses, nightgowns, swimming, nothing on my waist or attached to my waistband). Prior to the Pod, I was on Medtronic many years and I have no regrets. Be smart, be aware and as with any device it needs you to be in charge and if you do that I really don't feel the Pod is any different than Medtronic. Go for it!!!

Everyone is different and you'll hear pros and cons of every type and brand. This is just my experience. I went 36 years before going on the Omnipod. I was well controlled on pens so I figured, why change? I researched like you're doing, went to product shows and events. Tubed pumps sounded awful to me, always having something hanging off me, some have no problem with it, and some don't like the thought of a "bump" from the pod. After many years I made the move and love it. You know the benefits of pumping and like all pumps, I can adjust or shut off my basal so now I can run and workout without having to eat before to prevent a low! It works the same

I usually wear the pod on my stomach just under my belt line or my back hip where my jean pocket is, so it's completely hidden. People also wear them on arms, thighs, backs, shoulders, calves..so many options. If you're wearing a very tight dress you may have to wear it on your leg somewhere to keep it completely hidden but remember, you have to find somewhere to hang a tubed pump. I've heard people stuffing it into their bra, but again, a deep plunging neckline won't work for that. There have only been a couple spots where I find it hard to sleep, like right on my hip, so I just avoid that area or not sleep on that side.

OmniPod does handle insulin on board differently than other pump manufacturers, it shows you IOB for corrections but not for food boluses. Personally, it’s not something that I miss. If that’s important to you, you can trick the OmniPod into giving you that info by entering food boluses as corrections.

Now malfunctions, a lot of people complain about this but I find the pros out-way the cons. In fact, just last night I had two in a row not function when I was priming them. I called and they are sending replacements out. If I was close to the end they will send them out immediately. This annoys some people but for me, it's not enough to sway me from the no tubing road.
As far as keeping the pdm with you, it's never been a problem, it just stays with my purse and phone and test strips and extra insulin. You only need it to bolus, other than that you don't need it with you.

Keep in mind, you can go to the Omnipod website and order a trial one to wear around for a few days and see how you like it.
Good luck!

My son is a year round swimmer and he loves his OmniPod! I like it because he does not have to disconnect each time he swims! He is 11, so by his very nature he is active. So far, he has only knocked the pod off once when fooling around with his friends. If you are thinking of pumping, I think you should investigate it. We would not trade it.

I agree with the other posters. My son is 11 and plays soccer and basketball - and any other sport his friends play in their free time. He refused to even try a tubed pump (he wore one for all of 5 minutes once) and has really loved the Omnipod. He's had it for 2 1/2 years, and there was one stretch last year when we got very frustrated with a bunch of failed pods in a month or two. Other than that we have had basically no issues though. There isn't as much flexibility with insulin delivery as there was with the Cozmo from what I've heard - so you might be disappointed there. It's great in the pool, great for sports, and never bothers my son while he's sleeping. We've never had an overdose - but we do have to change it before 3 days are all the way up so he doesn't go high. Lastly, changing a pod is much simpler than changing a tubed pump from what I've seen.

My son loves the OmniPod too - he's 18 and has been wearing it for two years. He wouldn't even consider any other pump because of the tubing. He plays high school football and baseball and is swimming in the summer and skiing in the winter - constant activity. He does find when he wears the pod on his arm that he is happier when he wraps it with coban wrapping so he doesn't have to worry about knocking it off - that happened a bunch of times before we got smart!
Like Natasha, we had a bunch of failed pods in rapid succession (mostly when priming) but that hasn't happened in quite some time.
My son had only been diagnosed about a year before starting to use the pods and he was definitely hesitant to have something "attached" to him at all times. Now he says he's so glad we encouraged him to try the OmniPod and that he would never go back to injections.
Good luck to you Sam16!

I wrote about my experience here: http://bewarethepenguin.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-experience-with-omn... (it's a couple of years ago that I wrote it, but my attitude is still the same)

I'm a 66 year old teenager in terms of my activities. I swim, bike, play hockey, windsurf, golf, in general, do whatever I have time and energy to do and have never found the 'Pod any bigger problem than other options. I used a Disetronic with tubing for two years and gave it up when I could use Lantus and humalog. Because I'm a very low insulin user it was virtually impossible to take the small doses (<3 units) accurately. I learned about the Omnipod in early 2008 and began using it in October of that year. It is the best tool I've ever had to manage the BG's since I was diagnosed in 1966. I didn't even have a BG monitor until 1986. Good luck. Nothing is hassle free.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service