I use an OmniPod and am wondering how beneficial adding a Dexcom would be. Would like to hear pros and cons if anyone is doing this.
Thanks.

Views: 704

Replies to This Discussion

I have both. The pod since 12-1-11 and the Dexie since 1-10-12. Love them both.

I use this combination. I moved to the Dexcom after my Freestyle Navigator got bought back by the company. Aside from much, much lower accuracy in general than the Navigator, the Dexcom is nice for catching blood glucose trends, especially overnight.

I think anything that you can do to flatten out your blood glucose levels is a helpful thing.

The only cons are having to carry around another device that can be dropped, run over by a car, knocked into a pool of water, etc, and having to make room on your body for another thing that pokes through your skin.

I wear my Dexie in a www.spibelt.com. Works great and I hardly notice it until it beeps about something.

I wear both. I got my first pump (The Omnipod) last February and the Dex in June. Since being on the pump, I can no longer sense my blood sugar going low (I was able to before going on the pump). I usually can't feel any symptoms until it hits about 40, then it hits all at once. So I love the Dex for being able to provide me the low glucose warning brfor it gets too low. Most of the time it is fairly accuratem but I still dont dose according to the Dex. I always finger stick first. Don't know what I would do with out it.

my 11 year old has had similiar experience, now she won't feel a low till 50 or so, then she's got a headache and has to miss school. our endo is not recommending dex since she's thin and she thinks it will be hard for her to wear it, but I sure would like to give it a try when kennedy's ready

I have the Navigator over here in Europe and the pump. They are great together. The biggest issue is when they go wrong, it reminds me how difficult things can be !!
You will wonder how you ever lived without it. I constantly consult my Dex throughout the day and night. It has alarms so you will know immediately if you are too low or too high with arrows to give you that additional info as to whether your numbers are on the rise, level or headed downward. Gives you good data to analyze trends over time to see where your challenges are. I still do finger sticks to make sure it's calibrated with my Omni but have probably cut back by half on how many times I have to stick my finger. I find it fairly accurate. When it isn't, you just calibrate more often to bring it back in line.

I got the O'pod in 10-08, the DexCom in 11-09 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy and chemo. My endo thought it would be necessary to handle the nausea problem with chemo. It's not perfect (Dex) but it's quite helpful. It's cut my finger sticks from 8/day to 4/day. It tells you never to make a dosing decision on the readings and to use your BG monitor to determine that.

If I HAD to choose one or the other (Pump vs. CGM) the CGM would win. Can't feel lows and it has saved my #ss on more than a few occasions. Although, in reality, I wouldn't want to give up my Omnipod either!

Wish they would hurry up and combine them!

yep!

I have said the exact same thing. I love my Dex.

I tried this initially. The Dexcom failed continuously - I didn't have a single working sensor. During their limited life the sensors did show trends, sort-of, but they had to reset continuously and the reset cause them to go into 'abort' mode.

I suspect Dexcom is only useful if you don't test your blood sugar as a matter of course. I test before every meal, whenever I feel cranky, whenever my wife asks (since she is far more aware of my blood sugar than I am), whenever I feel light headed, morning and evening, and so on. I found the Dexcom disagreed wildly with my BG meter results and it drifted consistently.

When I informed the Dexcom controller of my BG readings is simply had a fit. It can't take criticism; it's perhaps the most self-centered computer system I've ever encountered. So I got my money back.

If you do try a Dexcom, remember to pay with a credit card.

John Bowler jbowler @ acm.org

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service