I recently had several miserable airport experiences with the TSA at several airports, all involving the full body naked x-ray imagers. After holding up my arms and reviewing my naked X-ray image (yikes), I have been treated by TSA like as a "person of interest" for my OmniPod, which I usually wear on my thigh. After the strange look from a TSA agent followed by the question about what I have in my pocket, I tell them that I wear an insulin pump. The TSA agent responses have included:

1. Blank stare. "What's an insulin pump?"
2. "You need to take it off, sir."
3. "Then why is it on your leg? I've only seen them on people's belts."

Every incident ends with me having to go back to a private room with two male TSA agents who want to see my OmniPod.

While I applaud the eforts of our TSA, I am a very frequent flyer getting annoyed with having to take off my pants for the TSA and to explain the joys of tubeless insulin pumping in the era of full body naked x-ray imaging.

I would love to hear any strategies about getting through airport security with minimal hassle. Do you just refuse going into the naked body scanner and demand a pat down? Do you tell the TSA agents before going into the naked body scanner that you are wearing an insulin pump?

Thanks in advance.

Views: 804

Replies to This Discussion

I have to say - it makes me laugh that people think that the TSA or indeed European authorities are anything than paranoid !, I have been taken into rooms in anywhere from Minniapolis to Frankfurt ! The only thing that works for me has been a letter from my endo and from the head of diabeties ! They then check. I wear an Omni Pod and a Navigator. But to be fair to all the comments - I wear both on my arms.

I wish we could voice how much it winds us up - and makes travel just a tad more annoying !,

I have never mentioned my Omnipod and have never had an issue. The Omnipod goes through the metal detetector without setting off the alarm and as long as that happens, I don't feel the need to tell them I'm waring one.

I send all my supplies including extra Omnipods and the PDM through the x-ray machine and have never been questioned.

I fly several times a year domestically and I usually fly out LAX and back through a random East Coast airport. I'll be flying internationally next month. We'll see what happens then.

Knock on wood

Once you go through a scanner (the kind that sees through your clothes), they'll know you've got something on you b/c they can see it. I suggest optimal placement for explosives swiping if you know you'll have to go through a scanner.

If it comes to that, ill opt for a pat down. I wont go through a full body scanner if i can help it.

I hear ya, but I don't feel like placing the pod in a place that's uncomfortable for me just to accommodate the TSA's lack of education. I have even tried the arm before, and I still got the explosives swipe.

So the explosives swiping is supposedly standard procedure now if they know you are wearing an insulin pump, no matter where it is. What I've discovered is that telling them you've got a pump and getting the "brief" pat-down and swipe is so so so so much more quicker than getting the full pat down. And I'm usually always running late by the time I get to security.

Again, full disclosure - I almost never travel through small airports where the TSA agents tend to be completely ignorant or incompetent. Or both. Who knows what you're going to get at one of those.

I guess it's just another reason to hate this stupid disease.

I know I'm generally speaking from a lack of experience when it comes to the TSA dealing with my Omnipod but it really has a been a non-issue so far. I can only hope it stays that way.

I'm not a huge fan of the TSA, but then again, the general public isn't any more well informed. The TSA has never accosted me coming out of a bathroom after dosing before dinner because they thought I was mainlining in the stall. Random idiots out in the world have.

Before I was on the pump and before full body scanners, I was pulled aside for a random search by the TSA. They were as professional as can be, it wasn't a humliating experience, and it was no more an inconvenience than having to take off my shoes or pack my toiletries into ziplock bags. I can only hope that being patted down because of my Omnipod will be a similar experience.

I travel enough and only for pleasure so that trying to keep a good attitude is key, but not so much that it has become an impossible grind in and of itself. It's gotta be a lot tougher if you're doing it for a living.

Attitude is indeed key to enduring the TSA. But I'm far more troubled by the fact that its incompetence in dealing with OmniPods (which it sees with some regularity) likely reflects its incompetence in dealing with truly dangerous items that it sees far less.

Further, TSA's treatment of OmniPods is illogical. Why does TSA insist on swiping the pod that I'm wearing for explosive residue, yet allow the half dozen pods I sent through the x-ray scanner to go through without an explosive swipe?

I'm just looking for the most logical and hassle free way to deal with the TSA. But since the whole TSA process is largely nonsensical and inconsistent theater, it looks like I'm just wasting my time and I'll need to take a strong drink before each encounter with them.

I also think that Insulet needs to take efforts to actively engage the TSA. I'm not sure what they have done to date, but (a) it does not appear to be working or (b) the TSA is truly that clueless.

Sigh.

I'm just looking for the most logical and hassle free way to deal with the TSA. But since the whole TSA process is largely nonsensical and inconsistent theater, it looks like I'm just wasting my time and I'll need to take a strong drink before each encounter with them.

This is your best option. I've decided to no longer fight it. I'm as pleasant as I can be when dealing w/ TSA agents, and it seems to work. It's not like I can just "choose" to not fly. My employers would then "choose" not to employ me anymore.

I also hit the bar while I'm still buckling my belt and putting my jewelry back on. That helps, too.

Agree with the metal detector -- it's never been a problem. It's just that dang nudie booty scanner contraption that's giving me grief.

I've always told every agent I encounter from the moment I arrive. I get pulled aside, patted down. Never been swabbed but I think every airport and every security person is different. I think I've always ended up in the full body scanner, doesn't bother me. I don't complain, let's hope some idiot doesn't get on a plane with a "medical device" ...(bomb) I now have a plate screwed into my humorous... can hardly wait for my next trip!! :(

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service