Can Omnipod Users use the Untethered Regimen for a long weekend?

We took our boat out on the Lake for the first time this season and for the first time with the Omnipod. I put extra Cover Roll Stretch Tape on my daughter's Pod plus pre-wrap and she was still not able to relax and enjoy herself. She worried the entire time about her Pod - will it get ripped off when tubing, will the tape come off with all of the swimming in the Lake, etc??? She was in tears most of the day and stayed IN the boat. She actually asked me if we could switch back to Novolog and Lantus when we go on our long weekend boating trips this summer! And then back to the Pod right when we get home from our trips (we have 4 planned.) I told her I would call her Endo and discuss this. I know that part of this is just getting used to boating with the Pod. I've heard of the Untethered Regimen but need to do more research before I call our Endo. Is this even possible with the Omnipod? How would I turn the PDM off - take the batteries out?? And, if I take the batteries out, will I loose all of her information? I have an email out to our Omnipod rep. Hopefully she will also be able to help me. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated! Our family enjoys boating - we don't want her to be so miserable!

Views: 275

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not a medical professional but I've worn a pump since 1999. It might seem perfectly fine for your daughter to switch back to shots for the long weekends. Coined as a 'pump vacation' :) If wearing the pod is going to make it difficult for her to enjoy herself and relax - definitely go for it! That's just my humble opinion. I knock pods off on door jambs - that's just me :) I don't know what the 'suspend' protocol is with deactivated pods but it may be worthwhile to keep the PDM on-hand just for bG checks and insulin calculations (should you choose to bring a bolus pen with you). That's just my 2 cents but hopefully your daughter enjoys every weekend out on the water with a smile on!
I really appreciate all of these great suggestions! It's good to know that others have a fun, successful time boating with their Pods! I know that she can do it but she has to know that she can do it! She is just not there yet. She has only been on the Pod for 4 months now so I guess it will just take time. I started to doubt that we made the wrong decision in "our pump" since the tube pumps can be detached while you swim and I questioned her about this and she said, "Oh No Mom! I don't want that tube pump and I wouldn't want that pump attached to my clothes!"
We haven't been boating, but my son swims all summer long and we've done some waterslides. I always tape his pod, since he's 6 and very active. We use the foam tape by Nexcare. It's water proof and I just wrap it a couple of times and he goes. Works really well for us and usually stays on with no problems. What about putting the pod on her belly or her hip under her suit. That might help keep it in place too. Good Luck.
She doesn't want to wear the Pod on her stomach because of her life jacket. She says it's too uncomfortable - the jacket hits the Pod and she gets even more nervous that the Pod will come loose.
Why don't you try wearing it on her back? I find that it's a great spot, high enough that the lifejacket covers it without rubbing on it!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service