I'd like to thank everyone who gave me tips on things to use for skin irratation for my son. Last night he had an occlusion (again) and we changed the pod, first put on benadryl spray, then a tegaderm and then the pod. This morning we had to tape it down because he almost pulled it out trying to scratch it! Afterwards he tells me he doesn't know if he'll be able to stay on it because the itching is so bad, broke my heart! I called our insulet rep to see if she had any other suggestions, she said to try cavilon spray with a little soma powder sprinkled on top of that and then the pod. Anyone else ever heard of this or tried it? I just went on amazon and found the cavilon and there are a bunch of different soma powders, I'm going to order both since we are desperate to find something that will give him some relief. Also has anyone's Endo prescribed any sort of cream that may help in healing the area when the pod comes off? If we had more sites to choose from it wouldn't be so bad...very frusterated! Thanks for any input that anyone may have!

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

I was told that by a rep as well, I did not try it. I do have the sample my rep sent me if you would like, I would be happy to mail it to you ASAP?
Thank you so much for the offer, I just ordered it from Amazon on the 2 day shipping! He had to take his pod off last night because it itched so bad. He said he'll do shots until the "next thing to try gets here". Thanks again, it's so nice to have people to talk to about all of this.
I also have some samples of the hypofix tape, it is the tape used with the pod. You can use it to try the different "remedies" out, without having to wait the whole 3 days to see the result. My rep had sent that to me as well.
I rub vitamin E oil each night into the areas on my dtr that become irritated and the old insertion sites and they seem to heal up nicely.
Our doctor prescibed a dermalogical ointment,Mupirocin, for the healing areas. It is an ointment similar to Neosporin but can be used every day without complications. I don't have the "brand name" as our pharmacy gave us the cheaper generic. The brand name tube was $60 and it expires every 90 days.

There are several over the counter ointments that people use with good results.
Lisa, I hope you are able to find a solution. My son is an athlete and loves his pod.

Some people swear by Eucerin Cream and Bag Balm. You can put this on the spot after the pod comes off to help healing but many people also commented in earlier posts about the importance of preparing the skin at the site in advance so the pod is not going on an already dry spot.

Other people found that they were not actually allergic to the adhesive but to the alcohol in the skin preps which is harsh and dries out the skin. Some admitted that they routinely change pods after showering and their skin is clean without using the wipes.

My son had this problem but it has been much improved by using a barrier skin prep called Bard Wipes. He does now make it through three days. Most of his scratches come when he pulls the pod off and he can finally itch the area.
My son is new on the pod and seems to be itching a lot too. I work in surgery and under dressing tapes we use something called Hollister skin prep wipes. I have been told that this is sold at many pharmacies over the counter. You apply it to the area where you will be sticking the pod. Let it dry slightly then apply the pod to the skin. It creates a thin barrier between the skin and tape and it helps when removing the pod as it hurts less. Since it is sticky if not allowed to dry completely it helps the tape to stick better also. It might be worth a shot to try.
Where is he wearing the pods? If you are getting occlusions, there is a problem with where he has them. My daughter doesn't have any itching on her arms, but can't stand the pod anywhere else on her body. We use the Cavilon cream and now with a little piece of tape covering the part that sticks so badly, she is a happy camper. If you think that part of the problem is dry skin, then have him moisturize. I know that is a big part of the problem with my daughter, she just doesn't have enough oil in her skin. We don't use alcohol on the skin first, just the Cavilon cream.
MaryMary- My son also has less itching on his arm but won't wear it on his right arm, say's it feels like it will fall off while he's playing sports(which he does daily). If she only wears it only on her arms how do you rotate the sites?
I rotate them up and down and from the far back of the arm to the side. From up near her arm pit to down a few inches above her elbow. You only have to think about where the cannula is inserted, not the whole pod. You can also point them either up or down, but I have had problems too often with putting them upside down, so stopped doing that. There really are a lot of spots using both arms. If you had him use a wrap on his arm, maybe he wouldn't feel like it would fall off. Or maybe some extra Flexifix to secure it. There are lots of boys that play sports wearing the pods without any problem. We always use a piece of Flexifix across the middle of the pod, just in case she gets it caught on clothing or anything. It prevents the pod from ripping off of the adhesive.
My son is also an athlete (17 years old)and had extreme itching at first. He is allergic to alcohol swabs and it seemed anything else we put on his skin! We now don't prep the site at all. He tries to change after a shower and we just plop the thing on either his stomach or left arm. He is a volleyball player and his right arm is more muscular and he hits with that arm so we only use the left. When he wears it on his arn, we just cover it with a short basketball sleeve and have had no problems with it. When it is on his stomach, we put a rectangular bandage over it. He has even played some pretty intense games with it on his stomach and it hasn't fallen off.
Hilary,

Are you just using a bandaid type bandage or something special on his stomach ?

My son plays ice hockey and we have not had much luck with pods staying on his stomach even with rolls of tape around his middle - it just curls up as he plays. We recently covered the trial CGM sensor on his stomach with a bandage but it was thinner. Since we only get two good days on his muscular arms, his hips are used a lot so we are always looking for more sites!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service