I have been using the Omnipod for a little over a month now.  It was wonderful at first.  Up until the last 10 days anyway.  Now I have been having extremely high blood sugars and am having a very difficult time getting them to come down.

I have not been ill, haven't changed my eating habits yet I have had to increase my basal dosages and also change my carb to insulin ratios to increase insulin at meals.  Even this has not helped bring me closer to my target range.  Just yesterday in the early afternoon my blood sugar was 487!  I have not seen that high of a reading since I was diagnosed 5 years ago.  Then again today after lunch, took my bolus 10 minutes prior to eating as usual, covered all carbs accordingly and still had a blood sugar of 409 two hours post meal. 

I have had two occlusions, three pods simply fail without reason and have lost a ton of insulin.  My PDM seems to be working just fine, haven't seen any issues with that.  So I don't understand all this. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  I called my Diabetes Educator and she just suggested I call Insulet.  Who told me they do not replace insulin nor will they replace pods for occlusions.  I haven't called them about the three pods failing without reason yet, I assume they will at least replace those.  I saved them for reference of the lot #'s for when I do call.  But what should I do in the meantime?  I have had to take needle shots just to bring my blood sugar down from those ridiculously high numbers already.  Considering going back to MDI.........not really wanting to though.  :(

Views: 169

Replies to This Discussion

Hocky Mom -

Souns like you have everything under control....Congrats! Pods typically take 3 - 4 hours before they "kick in" (as my iwife puts it) so I always take a big bolus before the change, and like you, try to time it so it is just before a meal so the bolus is taken care of...and my bg's will be in the high 100's for the rest of the day/night. And, if need be, I will jog and exercise to bring it down until my new pod "kicks in".
I'm confused... I change my pods after breakfast so I can be sure that I recieved my a.m,. bolus. Then I put in a temp basal for a few hours to take care of the change highs. Why do you change before a meal with a new pod that hasn't proven working yet?
Christine

My son has had problems with basal working on an old pod and even a new pod but then a bolus not working on the same pod. When he bolused he got the occlusion error. One time this happened at breakfast but he did not have high BG so I know that some insulin was getting through all night. The pod change just made him late. According to a 16 year old boy, this is the worst possible time to have a pod malfunction (when you are eating).

So now before we send him out into the world, we want to know that he at least does not start out with a "partial" occlusion. I am not sure how the pod knows that it is an occlusion but apparently a small amount can sometimes get through the cannula (or may take a while to detect) but not a larger bolus dose.
When your son changes his pod have him bolus 2 units of insulin. someone suggested that once out here and I started doing it and it really helped my BG after a change. I would also run high after I changed my pod and the 2 units of insulin really helped me stay under control. I usually change my pod right before dinner so I will add 2 units to what my suggested bolus. Make sure he checks his BG after the change to make sure that he isn't going too low. Good luck.
I'm on Day 9 of the OmniPod... and I'm a T1 Diabetic for 15 years used to shots. My friend, who is very active, insisted I try the OmniPod so I'm giving it a go. It's been a bit rough. We are still tweaking my numbers when it was WAY off to start. I've also had bleeding each site (tummy) while to Pod is on and when I've removed. The feedback I've gotten is it will tell me if it not transmitting correctly. The support I initially got was so-so, thanks to my friend and TuDiabetes I have a resource to figure out this stuff. I'm still on the fence about it. It has been weird getting used to wearing something after being used to the shots and moving on. It brings up a lot of emotion for me. I'm going to see it through and hope this will help on A1Cs. :)
try wearing the pod in a different spot, I will have slight bleeding on all my tummy sites too! I love wearing the pod on my arms and my hips, I have a LOT less trouble when wearing the pods other locations! best of luck!
I'm changing sites today. Going to try my back then arm next. I'm still learning what works. I'm trying to be a bit discrete at work and it's HOT in Texas so I'm working my way to the arm.
I almost never get a comment if I wrap the pod in a coban wrap... I have them in black and white, so I wear a wrap that matches my outfit, almost nobody even notices anything is there when I'm wearing a black wrap and a black shirt!I
good idea.. I was thinking about this for the arm
I have been on the pod since December. I cant say anything bad about it at this time except that I have gained weight. I switch between wearing it on the back of my arms. When the weather got hot I had to clean the site really well with alcohol so the pod would stick better. Also after a few occlusions my wife now kind of pinches up my skin when its inserting the cannula. My doc did a few tests on me where I dont eat and take a reading from 6pm to 6am every three hours and adjusted my basil each time. I also have had about 5 pods that occluded and about the same I knocked off going threw doorways. Oh well, I sure hope with all the information here you start to get positive results. Its a learning thing and I still dont know how to get all the information from the pda like doc can, its amazing. I also have taken the insulin back out of an occluded pod with no problems. Norm
I've been on the pod for about three boxes worth right out of the gate. I've had some mixed results. I have a tendency to knick the pods on doorways and corners and that has killed a number of my pods. A couple of times I went high and thought the pod had failed -- I probably should have given a bolus and waited. On one arm I got an abscess that required treatment with two very strong antibiotics for 10 days. I'm not sure I'll be able to use that arm for pod placement for quite some time. But having said all that, I'd not trade the pod for anything. My control has become so much easier and I've been able to stop visiting the 300s. It's been a certain amount of adjustment. I hope you're willing to stick it out. It really is a great system. I'm loving it.
I could've written this post, except I switched to the Pod from a Minimed pump. :)

I'd also say that I don't remember having problems getting used to the Minimed pump, but that was almost 10 years ago.

I think some of the "features" of the Pod - smaller cannula, ability to put it on your arms - contribute to some of the things that inevitably annoy me about it (occlusions, strange highs, etc.). In fact, I got so sick of it last night that I slapped my new pod on my belly, after being on my arms and back for the last six weeks.

I'm still glad I made the switch from Minimed as I love my Dex and I'm eager to be on an integrated Omnipod/Dex system in the future, but it's not a process without frustrations. But if I don't get used to the Pod and Animas comes out with a Dex integrated system first, I could see me going to that.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

The Newest Member of the DHF Team

Hi there! My name is Desiree Johnson and I’m the new addition to the DHF family! There is so much I want to share about my first few days at the office, but I’ll keep it short. The DHF team Read on! →

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service