i am going to be trying to get an omnipod soon and i was wondering if any couples take off their pods for a "roll in the hay" as it where?? i asked my endo and she said taking the pod off for less then an hour is oookay, but i wanted to know if those who have pods can actually take them off and on for certain activities???

Views: 461

Replies to This Discussion

time for a new endo! Once you remove the pod it can not be put back on your body.

It makes a lot of activities interesting!

I'm not sure why you would take it off - once its off its off and you need to put on a new one.

Once the pod is off, it's trash. Unless it's in a particularly uncomfortable location, don't worry about it. Just be careful that you don't accidentally rip it off.

The beauty of the omnipod is that I only have to take it off when I change it. Otherwise it is on my body for every activity. I've had it for a year and am 8 months pregnant :) I do not find that it gets in the way of any activity. However, sometimes it can take some time to find what locations work best.

Also, once the pod is off of your body, that pod is done and cannot go back on. You would need to replace it with another pod.

The cannula insertion device in the pod is a one time use thing. If you take it off there is no way to put it back on. I suppose if you only wanted to engage in those sorts of activities every 3 days and schedule them around your pod changes it could be done... but it's really not practical. I have had a couple of pods bumped off during activities but for the most part you won't notice it's there unless your partner makes a big deal out of it. It may be an unpopular opinion but if that's the case I'd just say find a new partner. Like anything new, the pod takes some getting used to but you can do any activity with it on. And it keeps your sugars in much better control than having to worry about pre-bolusing before disconnecting then correction bolusing after reconnecting and whatnot! Good luck with you pods!

The only time mine comes off is during a scheduled change, or if something has gone wrong with the pod before the next change.

That being said, I have lost pods, rarely, during some activities. I'd actually give your endo points for knowing that you don't have to panic if that happens. Your BGs aren't going to suddenly fly out of range and you have some time to change your pod if you don't happen to have any on you at that time, or find that the situation just doesn't permit.

So, let's say you're doing something that looks a lot like wrestling, but isn't really wrestling, and your pod accidently comes off accidently. You don't have to panic and ruin the moment by letting go of that flying arm bar you have locked on your partner..

If you deactivate for any activity the pod is dead. To deachtivate anytime you or your spouse are feelijng romantic would be a huge waste of money (pods and insulin). My wife and I have just learned to leave it and be careful we dont disturb it, there are probably some locations to put the pod which will insure it will not "get in the way." I find when the pod is on the back of my arm (which is the most frequent location) it usually is just fine. Good luck, and have fun!!!

I find when the pod is on the back of my arm (which is the most frequent location) it usually is just fine.

Obviously, your romantic moments don't involve flying arm bars...

;-)

thank you all for that advice. my doctor doesn't know anything about the omnipods so i thought i would ask y'all. :D

Agree w/ what all the others have said. No need to remove it. It can take enough of a jostling that any kind of activity like that isn't a big deal (so your partner shouldn't have to worry about knocking it off really). I mean, be aware of where it's at, but def no need to obsess about it or steer clear of it for fear of hurting it.

One piece of advice that nobody has mentioned yet today: if your partner is not yet used to the pods and them being attached to your body, it might be a good idea to spend some time getting him comfortable with it before any moments of intimate "activities" come about. For example, have him help you do a change and handle the pods, put one on you, take the old one off, etc. Or just encourage him to "play" with it (gently of course) while it's on you, to get used to how much jostling it can really take in the various locations you place it.
In my opinion, having your partner being comfortable around the pod will mitigate any risk that bumping it or otherwise noticing it during intimate activities will spoil the moment.

Good advice Eric....moments can be spoiled if you or your partner are constantly worrying about if you are about to not the pod off. My wife used to worry about bumping into mine and touching it. I had to get her used to the idea of if it comes off it will be ok. Like FHS said, if it comes off don't panic, toss it out of the way and continue "exercising".... you can put another one on when you get done.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service