Hi! I'm been on the Type 1 forum for a while and just found this one. Questions for those that started on a tubed pump, but are now using the Omnipod:

Got my Omnipod welcome kit and four boxes of pods today. Already set up the PDM to match my Animas pump settings. Haven't called for a trainer yet, but wondering if it's necessary.....the closest trainer for my area is 5-6 hours away (a "local" rep had called before we even knew my insurance would cover the pods. Looked up his area code to find out where he was). I've read the material that came with the unit and have watched the tutorial online (so much geared for someone that's never pumped....oh well). What do you all think? Should I wait or jump right in? Oh, you should also know that my doctor is only a GP (have never seen an endo) and has never worked with me setting basals or I:C rates - I've always taken care of that myself. My very first pump training was with Medtronics back in 2004 - lasted only 20 minutes (doc didn't even sit in) because I had read everything first. My next "training" was with Animas - rep forgot our appointment - I called him wondering where he was - he "trained" me over the phone because he was already headed home. Also, during the tutorial, it mentioned to pinch up the skin near the cannula for a better insertion. Do you do that? And, I've never used insulin at room temperature (I just take it out of the fridge and fill my resevoir - never had any bubble problems). Do you let it get to room temp?

Thanks,

Kim

Views: 734

Replies to This Discussion

It will work for 8 hours after the official expiration time before it dies completely. The worse part is that it will keep issuing the warning beep until it dies.

It's been awhile since I started the pod, but I also checked out every video, read the manual as much as I could, etc etc, but when my trainer finally came by to train me, I actuallly did learn a lot that I either had failed to cover myself, or that simply wasn't in the manual. I found her notes extremely helpful for the first 3 months or so, but I had never used any pump of any sort prior to the pod.

Thanks for the info. I did read somewhere else (after posting my question) that it lasts for another 8 hours. How often does it beep at you during those 8 hours?
I was actually on a tubed pump since 2004. I'm loving the fact I have no tubing now and nothing clipped to my pocket! Wish the pods were smaller, but I see that's coming soon. The sooner the better!

I think it beeps every hour during those 8 hours telling you that it has expired and needs to be changed. These are just a quick 2 beep thing the same as when you get a confirmation for a bolus or a reminder of an increased or decreased basal. At the end of the 8 hours it will give the continuous beep telling you to deactivate it. At this point it does stop delivering insulin so you really do have to change it (plus the beep is just major annoying!)

Make sure you won't be sleeping too close to that final long beeeeeeep. believe it or not...if my son is sleeping on the pod and that goes off he does not hear it at all and continues to sleep. he can sleep through the four beeps too. He is 17 so he does everything mostly on his own... With little to no nagging needed from me.... But he does wait till the last beeeeeep every time.

I went through the training with my first pump just to see how different the training was from my daughters training, two different pumps. it was all the same so when i received my omnipod i started it myself and now my endo knows that when i get a new product i start it myself and call if i have a problem, if no problem then she sees me at our next scheduled visit. same with my doctor, he said if i dont understand from the directions then call and get training or call the company.
as for my insulin i have mine in my purse and when i get down to being able to fill one more pod i take one out of the fridge and carry it with me. sometimes the cold insulin will set the pod alarm off, that happened to me once and then i just take it out before i need it.
Hope this helps, God Bless and Congrats
Kat

Thanks Kat. I did end up just jumping in and started it myself shortly after my supplies arrived. I had to tweak my settings a bit, but everything's good. I have some issues with bruising, but other than that, I do like it better than my Ping. Although, I do miss being able to bolus right from the pump. It's kind of a pain to dig out the PDM just to do a simple bolus. But, oh well.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service