Can anyone tell me about being in the sun - for 6 or more hours sailing with the pump. Should it be covered ? I have learnt with the Navigator to use a cut off sock - works well and stops sunburn !!

Views: 238

Replies to This Discussion

My son does this all the time... infact he is sailing now.. has not had any trouble with the pods or the insulin in the pods...how ever.. the PDM must be kept cool.. he has had some scares where it over heats.. but has come back on once it cools down.
So would you say keep it wrapped or just out of the sun ?
Sorry - you are talking about the PDM !! What about the pump ?
He hasn't done anything different for the pump and has been in some extremely hot days...
He is off sailing now and it is very hot and tomorrow will be worse.. I will let you know if it has any troubles...
We are in Texas and our ave. temps for the end of June & 1st of July were 110! Crazy Hot. My son's bgs have not been good this summer and his A1C was up quite a bit. Our endo said a lot of his pt. have been the same. He told us we may need to change pods a little more often than the 3 days if he's outside a lot . We've had temps over a 100 everyday for most of the summer and no rain since September of last year. Ugghhh!
I would love to know if it has affected his levels. i am off on Wednesday to Tobago with the troops - cant be caught short !!
My son was just in Tucson for volleyball and in the 10 days he was there he had 4 occlusions. I was told it could have been due to the heat and we should have changed the pod more frequently.
Sounds like me! I live in South Texas near South Padre Island. 2 days ago I started this Pod at 0.05 units per hour and this morning I am at 2.05 units per hour and my bg is 97. I have used as many as 3.5 units per hour. I guess I will change every 2 days til this heat wave subsides.
I spent last week in the Outer Banks of NC. Had the pod mounted on inside of upper leg. Bathing suit shorts covered the pod from sun (I’m NOT a “Speedo” wearer!) Anyway, after being in the sun for a while, I noticed that my Humalog in the pod seemed to work a lot slower, meaning I had to bolus much earlier (1.5 hrs) v.s normally I bolus 30 minutes before to be effective. I found this out, when my bg hit the roof even though I followed normal protocol. Seeing this, I did another bolus to bring me back to normal. Even with the second bolus, it took a while to drop down. I started early blousing and that, along with an increase in units (increase might have just been from different eating on vaca?) I stayed more in control. One thing to consider with the pods and sun exposure: If it’s 90 deg out, and the sun is shining on something, that item will get much hotter than 90, if left unshielded. I kept the PDM and Dexcom in the cooler just because it was convenient to carry them that way.
I'm just starting out with Omnipod myself, and have been wondering about heat. How about soaking in a really hot bath for 20 or 30 minutes? Still doable? (assuming the pod is submerged)
It works in heat - i have been cycling in Tobago. No probs. Just sweat and the Pod falling off - used gaffer tap. but no issues with PDM or pump
I've been on it a year and had no problems with adhesive until this summer. Wearing the pod on my thigh and being in the swimming pool too long caused the adhesive to fail quickly. I had to strap it down with different tape to keep it on for three days. Haven't tried the hot bath since going on the pod, only showers, but if you submerge it I would be prepared to use something else to keep it applied to the leg.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service