I am surprised by some o fthe threads and comments on here about the Omnipod. I am a type 1 "brittle" diabetic and had been on multiple injection therapy for many years, primarily because I had tried the MiniMed pump and HATED it. I found it big and bulky and I hated the tubing. My A1C's were consistently running about 6.8 on the injections. When I heard about a wireless pump I got very excited and decided to try it. I absolutely love it. It has never fallen off and I have done cannon balls off the back of my boat wearing it and if anything, I find the adhesive ridiculously sticky. I am guessing they have improved it over the years. Even sweating out in the sun it never has come off. I love the built in BS meter and the way it automatically calculates your boluses. I also love how I can really follow my progress with all the stored results. It is also super intuitive. It lets you know when insulin is low and time to change it is coming and it talks to you saying things like "Are you going to eatr now?" I have also never had a problem with insulin delivery except for once when a pod malfunctioned for no apparent reason. Best of all, my blood sugar is in really tight control and I use less insulin. My last A1c was 6! So from my point of view, I highly recommend this pump.

Views: 197

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for posting, I agree I am always shocked how Negative people are. I don't like being a Diabetic but my outlook is very positive and I think I will live longer because I have this disease and it forces me to workout everyday, and eat much healthier than I would of normally and since Heart Disease is the #1 killer I plan on living longer because of my choices.

I think your attitude is 90% of handling a disease such as ours and I agree that the Omnipod is awesome! Better than taking 7 shots and having no control over my basal rate daily. I rarely get low these days, when I was on injections I would get dangerously low all the time.

Sure there will be improvements and of course it isn't perfect, show me what is.
My son's been on the Omnipod for 11 months now and we are so happy with our choice. All the features that set it apart from the others are the features that fit us the best. Swimming with it. Not forced to wear it on his abdomen (never wanted his shots there either). Tubeless, of course. Built in BG meter. Large color screen. Very intuitive to use. Future integration with Dexcom, which we also can't live without now. Hoping pumps get even more great features but the only one I would change on the Omnipod right now, that the others do, is calculate IOB for meals and not just for corrections. We can do it in our head but that negates the usefulness of the bolus calculator in some situations. We do get some pod failures, but other pumps get site issues and delivery problems so I think its even in that respect. Can't wait for the smaller pods and the new PDM! :)
New PDM? What is it going to have different? Do you know? I new about the new pods...but not the new pdms!
Yay!
Don't understand how to do links, just tried. Omnipod users group discusses it on page 3. Subject-http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/omnipodusers/forum/topics/new-pdmpo... :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service