My 7 year old son, Spencer, was diagnosed back in March. He has just been given the "green light" to get a pump. He wants the Omni-Pod, because as he said, "Other kids won't see it, and I don't want any tubes." Everywhere I looked on the web today, all I saw were "horrible experiences" thank God I found this site. We had a company rep. come to our home yesterday (10/19/11) and put a pod on his arm and inserted the canula. He wants to wear if for the 3 days, (she de-activated the pod).
My questions:
1. Is the Pod okay for him, age wise?
2. How will we know if it is "working properly"
3. Those of you that have used other pumps and switched to Omni-Pod, did you do the right thing?
4. The final question & the biggest concern is his Endo. doesn't really like the Pod, she said it has to do with the rep. (not the one that came to our home, she is new) not being available.
This is still new to us, I want his life to get back to "near" normal and I know pumping is not a cure all. I just want to be sure.
Thanks from a scared/concerned parent!!!

Views: 900

Replies to This Discussion

Go to my blog and search OmniPod or click on the tag on the lower right side. www.ardensday.com

OmniPod is the way to go in my opinion... Good luck!
Wow Scott...your site is amazing! Thank you! Thank you! I will look at the plan, and again I feel like this is not MY decision, it has to be my son's. He feels comfortable with the pod that is on right now. To the point that when I want to look and make sure the canula is still inserted, and has no blood that his reaction is,"It's okay dad, it's okay." I have two friends in our hometown that their children have Type I, and they have the conventional pumps. Their position is go with one of those, but my heart says we would be making a mistake. Thanks again Scott your info and knowledge of this disease, it's people like you and all of those that have responded to my question that make this bearable. Thanks again!
Scott I forgot to ask you in my reply, does Arden have the CGM system as well as the Pod?
She does. She uses a DexCom 7+ which is also an amazing tool for making our days better.

I appreciate the nice words about the site. Thanks for taking the time to look around!

I'm glad that you're taking SPencer's lead... he's a lucky boy to have a great dad. Let me know if you need anything...

Scott
@ArdensDay
Scott, I hate to keep worrying you, I too am covered by Blue Cross (Va. State Trooper/State Employee insurance) do they cover the cost/expenses of the CGM?
No problem.

I'm in NJ and they cover it, we did have to prove the medical necessity. Which we accomplished using a 7 day CGM study that showed her overnight lows.
I have the dexcom as well as the pod and have blue cross blue shield and I am covered 70%. With my deductible met I paid less than $1000 out of pocket for the starter kit and 4 boxes of pods. With th CGM my deductible was also already met and I paid only $550 ish for the starter and 4 boxes of sensors :)
Hi Mike,

I was two years old when I was diagnosed (I'm 37 now) so I didn't have the value of being discreet. I can empathize with your son but what I did was let everyone know that I had diabetes because I felt like I was "different" than everyone else, but in a good way. I have my parents to thank; since I can remember, they instilled that I always keep a positive outlook my diabetes and in life. There will be hard times, but to get through those difficult times is to try - and try hard - to keep his chin up. You hit a major point to live a near normal life, and that's how I've always lived.
I used insulin injections for 32 years and crossed over to Omnipod in 2008 and what a relief. My main reason to go with the pod was because it is tubeless. I met with a diabetes educator - different from an Endo. I was the first patient my that educator was exposed to the pod, so it was a learning experience for both of us.
As far as your Endo not liking the pod because of the rep, well I think that's silly. I only contacted my rep once when I first started my pod, and that was to provide my insurance info. The tech support from Omnipod, for the most part, is pretty good. There are times when the pod isn't functioning as it should but it alarms when this happens.
You're on the right track and I think you'll do fine. This is a great website to acquire anything related to diabetes.

Good luck!!!

Troy

I say, 'Be Transparent' A Dblog post from 2008.

I totally agree Scott. When Spencer was diagnosed I told my wife Kelly, my oldest son Austin, and Spencer, that we were going to live our lives. We would control diabetes and not allow diabetes to control us. We test in resturants, at the pool, at the beach, wherever. I went to his school, I checked his BS, I gave him his injection, I did it to help him feel like what you said in "Be Transparent", normal. To let him and the other children know he was still Spencer, he just has special needs. Things were going great, and THEN... a little boy in his 1st grade class called him "diabetes boy" and since then I have noticed that Spencer has changed. He no longer wants injections in front of others. I know the Pod will help me to help him. BUT I WILL NOT BE DISCREET. I want people to know that he is a diabetic. Just like you said Scott, the person that see's Spencer taking his BS, getting an injection, maybe that person is the one, that has the final piece to the puzzle locked away somewhere in their brain, that is the cure to help my son, your daughter, and the millions of people who suffer with this disease.
Sorry to keep answering you with blog posts... but - http://www.ardensday.com/main/2010/9/13/no-lectern-required.html

I found a way to get ahead of that issue.
I agree w/ you both Mike and Scott. For me it's super important to be transparent. Does that mean that I have great days all the time? No. I'm only human. But more often than not, by being transparent, and by owning this, I can help educate others about this silent disease. I mean, I wear the pod on my arm openly and I don't shy away from questions when others ask. I even have a tatt on my forearm that is medical/diabetes related. It's kind of hard to keep a silent thing silent when you wear it so openly like that ;)

Diabetes doesn't have to make me any different than anyone else--I just take a few extra steps throughout the day to make sure I'm staying healthy. While on MDI, I took shots when I needed to, regardless of location. From diagnosis until now, I still test whenever, wherever. It's part of who I am and I will continue doing it to take care of myself properly.

Scott I think you handled your daughter's class situation very well by informing them about the condition. I did the same throughout school, and I did more than my fair share of presentations and wrote more essays over different aspects of diabetes (from the history, to the treatment options, and even to the future management/cure of this disease). I really like using opportunities to educate others about the disease.

Mike I would stress to Spencer that sometimes others may use names or terms to try and label him, but that this does NOT have to stop him from being who he wants to be. A lot of people locally know that I'm "that guy with type 1 that rides and races bikes." That's fine with me. It's what people do. They label/classify things (it's part of human nature) so that they can better understand those things. But that doesn't have to be all that I am. There's more to me than that. And for anyone who cares to get to know me, they'll see that. And for those that choose not to, then I'm okay with that too.
There's that theory that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." Diabetes is part of me, sure. But I'm so much more than that.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service