Three months ago I was assured by Liberty Medical AND a in long conversation with Horizon BCBS of NJ that Omnipods were definitely covered. I called in a reorder to Liberty yesterday and was told "We have a note on your account that on Oct 6 Horizon told us they would not cover pods in the future".

You would think that Horizon would have notified me, THEIR CUSTOMER, at the same time so I could make arrangements to get a covered pump, or switch back to MDI.

One weird thing is that Liberty does not supply ANY OTHER pump that would be covered by Horizon. So I have to find another supplier, if indeed Horizon would cover a pump, which is yet to be determined.

Has anyone had a different experience with Horizon in NJ? I am so tired of these insurance nightmares.

Tags: Horizon, Liberty, omnipod

Views: 208

Replies to This Discussion

We have Horizon in NJ, specifically NJ Direct 15. We only started the Omnipod in August, but were told we pay 10% of all costs, until we hit something like $500 out of pocket costs and then everything is covered 100%. I can't say for sure that this is correct, as Horizon has a history of charging us for things long after the fact, even things they've told us are covered. Maybe I better go check for sure!
Have you called Horizon BCBS yet? Can you appeal this? Do they in fact cover other pumps but not the Omnipod? I have Excellus BCBS in NY, they have never given me a problem with the Omnipod but denied paying for the Dexcom after several months of paying for it. I appealed and won.
Thanks- can you explain the appeal process that won for you?
I called and said I wanted to start an appeal. I was told I didn't need to do anything further, but I put together a packet to mail to them. I sent a letter explaining why I felt the Dexcom was important to helping control my blood sugars, and included examples of low blood sugars when I needed help from my husband to recover, and how the Dexcom alerted me to impending lows so I could recover without outside help. I also included the OmniPod and Dexcom charts that showed blood sugars in the 40's. And I included a statement from the hospital emergency room for an episode of low blood sugar.

I think your first step would be to call them so you know what your options are.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service