Just Curious, Is there anyone who is generally happy with the Omnipod?

I recently switched from medtronic to the omnipod..,so far things have been great, but after ready a few of the discussions on here I am becoming a little scared... and thinking maybe I made the wrong choice?

I think all pumps have "quarks" and "issues".. I had plenty with the minimed... but just looking to hear some positive feedback... as well as the main issues.

Lindsay

Views: 3375

Replies to This Discussion

we had same thing with insurance, but just pay cash, 300$ a month...

Generally, I am very happy with the OmniPod. I've been happy with most, if not all, of the trade-offs. I like not snagging my tubing on doorhandles, I like not wasting insulin in the tubing, and I like that it stays on me no matter what. I haven't forgotten the PDM in years now, and although I have had pods fail during priming at varying rates over the years, Insulet has replaced them either immediately or around the start of the next month. They have been good about sending them more quickly if I let them know that I am running pretty low on pods. It is not ideal that they fail mechanically, but I cannot fault Insulet's customer service.

My omnipod functions in a satisfactory manner with very few issues.

i LOVEEE my omnipod & wouldnt ever consider anything with tubing. end of story.

There are a few issues of course, but it's technology. I get frustrated with my computer too sometimes because it's not a perfect product.

My blood sugars are predictable on the Pod..

With the pod plus a Slow Carb diet my last several months of BGs have been averaging between 125 to 140. With very few lows. Can't be more thrilled.

Thanks Everyone!!!! I switched from minimed at my doctors suggestion... somehow I had the worse luck with medtronic! The final straw or so I thought was when the pump broke in my final trimester of pregnancy... but even after all that it took another year before I was actually able to make the switch. Reading everyones experiences has made me 100% certain I made the right decision. Hopefully my opinion will remain high in a few months :) Im a pretty avid runner... and I am looking forward to no tubes getting in the way!

Lindsay. I love the pod. It has it's problems which I am convinced are to do with where they are shipped from. I have been on it for over a year now. I have only had one batch of 30, that I get at a time. I had 12 out of 30 fail. So I reported them to Ypsomed here in Europe. They were very good, but what I should have done is not use the rest. I was asked for the serial numbers and batch numbers of those that failed. I had to explain that 7 of them were in various freezers in London resturants ! And one was in a glass of gin and tonic !! That didnt go down so well. It's the ones that just decided to fails and scream at me that I had to freeze to stop them. Since that lot I have had no issues at all !! Keep at it the Omnipod is fantastic
I was on a 10 mile run yesterday and almost posted here immediately after regarding how great the pod is for runners! :)

I think this is one of the biggest issues that Insulet faces in growing the OmniPod customer list. Keep in mind the idea of the vocal minority - if someone is having troubles or frustrations, they are going to be the people out here seeking help, advice, or even just a place to vent. That's true regardless of what the subject is - insulin pumps, cell phones, parenting, whatever.
On the other hand, if something "just works" and you go on every day doing just fine, those people have a LOT less reason to be vocal on forums like TuDiabetes. Think about it, why would the people who have no or little trouble be out here being vocal?
So there will always seem to be a lot of voices of discontent, but I firmly believe that is the minority, by far. There are thousands of people using OmniPod, most of whom you NEVER hear from or about because we're getting along just fine.

That's not to dismiss those people who do have issues. Clearly no pump is right for everyone; no doubt OmniPod is not the right choice for every diabetic.

Great point Eric!

My son is 11 and has been wearing the pod for two and a half years. He loves it which is why we love it. It's the only pump we've ever used, but my son was so against the idea of the tubed pump (we made him wear one for 15 minutes and I think he thought he was dying the entire time.) Yes there have been failures and issues, and a couple month stretch about a year ago where I was wondering if we made the right choice because of them - but even in the midst of that my son was very clear that it was worth it. He is very active and it's definitely been the best choice for us in that arena too.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service