When priming a new pod, it began to beep nonstop and then stopped priming.  The PDM told me to discard and prime a new pod, which I did- then, that one started to beep nonstop during priming! I called customer service who witnessed me prime two more pods that also began to beep nonstop!  He told me to prime one more.  Just before that, I moved to another room and removed all old pods from the room like the ones already in the trash.  It primed successfully! 

At least he fed-exed me 4 new pods to replace the failed ones for free!  

Things to consider when changing pods:
(1) remove all old pods from room
(2) use room temp insulin
(2) go to a room where electro-static is not an issue

Not that these are the cause of pod failures, but they are factors to consider.

Peace.

Tags: failure, multiple, pod, priming

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

The situation shouldn't be life threatening if you have your proper back-up methods with you. It's alarming so you know there's a problem and can fix it. Yes, I hate it when I get a couple failures in a row but it's not hard to pull out a syringe and give myself a shot or two before I can get back to my supply bins at home. I assure you that Insulet is doing whatever they can to stop this as each pod that fails this way they replace and it's a $33 or so loss for them. Yes, it is a pain, but no, I don't think it's life threatening or that there's a need to report to anyone other than Insulet.
Please don't go to the media! Insulet is a little corporation against companies like Roche and Medtronic. I'm not saying that we shouldn't tell Insulet when there are problems - I would imagine they have a pretty big R&D program working on our issues - but no need to spread bad press. :-)
Believe me, I feel your pain when we experience "issues" with the pods. When they fail due to technology, it is super frustrating. When they work, they work Great! I, personally, hope to never have to use a "traditional" pump.

Rebecca, I agree with you totally. If you always have a backup and deal with things responsibly there should be no life threatening situations. We are dealing with mechanical parts and that means there could always be a problem. It would be nice if we lived in a perfect world but unfortunately we have to deal with glitches once in awhile. But I agree Insulet does their best to correct the situation so leave the media out of it.

Just an after thought... when you're filling the new pod, are you making sure that you're tapping out any bubbles and then filling the pod slowly?
There's the bathroom problem, again.......

I'm not saying that changing a pod in a bathroom is an issue, just because you're in a bathroom. I have no problems changing pods anywhere in my home. I am thinking that an inner sanctum like the lady's room (where my 2 failures occured,) or a fitting room in a typically constructed commercial property does not allow for proper reception. I had an Insulet customer service rep tell me that sometimes the PDMs are like cell phones in that you might have to move around to get better reception.

I don't know if this would possibly be the case in this instance and if it would apply to your child's room.....
It would be fantastic if Insulet has addressed this hardware/software problem with new pod design.

My daughter had several episodes like this one in July 2010.  We lost about 5 or 6 pods while priming.  When we talked to Insulet they recommended using room temperature insulin (which we always do) and filling the pods very slowly.  Since then, Teresa really takes her time filling the pods, very, very slowly.  She has not had any more problems like this since.  Either it was a batch of bad pods or there is something to filling them slowly.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service