New PDM/Pod info from Q1 2011 Insulet Corporation Earnings Conference Call

The entire audio recording can be heard at http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=209336&p=irol-event...

Here is some stuff I found interesting...

MM:SS

08:08 "As our partner, Dexcom, noted on their conference call last week, we are in the early stages of development of an integrated system that utilizes our next generation pod and their fourth generation sensor. We anticipate that an FDA submission could occur sometime in the first half of 2012."

17:00
Question: "Does the next generation pod require a new PDM, or can patients use the existing one?"
Answer: "It requires a new PDM." ***note - don't panic--read q&a @ 29min below...***

21:04 "We believe our next generation product will be a 2012 event..." "I think as we get a little more definitive on the timeline we will articulate to the market...that we'll have an upgrade strategy. ...We have the capability of forcing the upgrade strategy on the market and what we will do is probably do it in first come, first served fashion... get in the queue, get on the product... It's a little different in Europe because everything is going through A distributor ...so they have a supply chain... they know what's going on in the individual countries, plus the backlog... that one we're trying to time a little bit better. The US market, we will articulate as soon as we get a clear understanding of the timeline, we will clearly articulate to the market what the upgrade strategy is. ...the first people on our product will be the first people to get the next generation."

29:
Question: "When you start shipping, will Abbott pay for some of those upgrades? How's that going to work? Are they going to cover that cost for you? Or is this going to be the patient will have to upgrade... if they are on a gen 1, or they bought in the last 12 months... into an upgrade program, what are you thinking at this point?"
Answer: "What we're planning on doing is we ultimately want everybody to have the benefit of this new product. Certainly there is some financial benefit for us to do so, so we will ultimately, over a period of time like a six to 12 month roll out, once we launch, here in the US for example, effectively move everybody over to the new product, so we will supply the customer with a brand new hand-held (PDM) to accompany the new product. Keep in mind that the savings that we will generate on that first reorder is enough to effectively offset the cost of the hand-held (PDM). So in the first quarter of launch there won't be any margin improvement because they'll net each other to zero, but beyond that, we will receive all the margin improvement that we've been talking about. From an ROI perspective, that's a pretty quick payback."

Tags: aeros, gen, next, pod, smaller

Views: 317

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Seth

I didnt realise the Transmitter would be a another item to insert, I just assumed it would be part of the new pod, but that makes sense, as you said the reading would be miles off!!

Im in the UK and we have the next gen Navigator, its not so bad and items are easily available here which is great! I just find if I get dehydrated the navigator goes crazy and doesnt know what its doing! also if I lay on the transmitter for some reason it thinks im hypo, lol

I looked at getting the dexcom but was put off by its transmitter where its not rechargeable and has to be replaced every year-ish! That would work out to much of a cost for me as I have to fund my omnipod and my cgms myself with no support, I guess at least I get the insulin to put in it free, so when the pod fails its not so much of a concern of losing the insulin as it would be if I was in the states

Fingers crossed we will get the new smaller pod here in the UK starting the end of next month (apparently!) but I will wait and see, lol.
Let us know what you think of the new pod when you get it and use it. I have seen it and cant wait for it to get approved here.

Seth

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service