I am sitting in night class from 4:00-10:00pm and my Omnipod just started yelling at me -- Occlusion! Bad news? I don't have an extra pod on me. How long has anyone gone within a pod? If I go 5 hours, is that awful? Is it better to just leave class and go home?

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

Anything over an hour is just like disconnecting a traditional pump for over an hour. You will start to see an increase in BGs. If you went 5 hours, you're going to start getting fairly high (especially depending on your basal rate: the higher the rate, the more missed insulin of course). Then over the next several hours after you start pumping again (which would be through the middle of the night, given your 10pm release time for your class) you'll have to combat the inevitable high...I would likely leave class and go get a new one on.
I say keep a fast acting insulin pen with you for backup. That way you can give yourself a correction if you run high and don't have to leave. We have left my son's deactivated pod on for several hours when he had an occlusion at school and we could not get there to remove it.
Hanna,

It really depends on your Glucose level. If it were me, It would not be good as I would go up quickly.

What are your readings after the 5 hours

I would carry extra pods when away from home as you never know when the Oclusion beep will go off. At least carry extra syringes and insulin so you can treat high blood sugar.
\
hth, John
"You should carry a syringe and a bottle of insulin for emergency cases like that. But yes going for 5 hours without insulin would probably be a problem. I would be beyond shocked if it wasnt.
Is there a nurses station at your school? They might have a sub-cu syringe? Can you get any insulin out of the pod? (hmm, then again, I always use the ginormous one that comes with the pod...this plan might not work).

This weekend I had a pod fail on the spare pod I had and was 2 hours from home. I hightailed it back, but did stop twice to manually give myself a unit or two to cover the missing basal insulin. No big deal and I didn't get over 200. But the manual shots were key!

If I were in your shoes, I would get my hands on some insulin within the first hour without the pod. Good luck!
You would be suprised what places DON'T have a syringe. I went to an amusement park once and on a ride had my pump site knocked off. They had an EMT station in the park and they did not have a syringe. I was really quite suprised. I learned a valuable lesson that time: never expect that any place will have syringes besides a pharmacy or the hospital.
who knew? what good are they if you need more than a bandaid or cpr? :)
If you have a syringe stashed somewhere you can rip the pod off and draw a correction from the pod. Check your BG often and if it starts to climb to high go take care of it. DK'ing sucks!
I'd leave class, for sure. If I try to go more than an hour or two, I start vomiting. The traditional rule of thumb is that you rise 1 mg/dL for every 1 minute of missed basal. 5 hours is potentially a 300 mg/dL rise from wherever you started.
Wow- what a great fact, thanks!! We sure need our insulin :)
I'd say it totally depends on your basal rate (which depends on your body's rate of absorption and use), and when you last ate. For example, if your basal rate is .5U per hour and you haven't eaten since your insulin active time expired, you would only miss a total of 2.5 units over 5 hours. You can even make a very rough estimate of how much the missed insulin might raise your BG by using your correction factor. For example, if you missed 2.5 units of insulin and your correction factor is 20 mg/dl per unit, a very rough estimate of BG rise would be 2.5 * 20 = 50 mg/dl. It's not very accurate, but I've used it a few times to make a decision like you're facing and it seems "close enough."
I always remember that insulin in my body stays active for 4 hours, so for me BG doesn't start to rise for about half that time; of course, I also notice that correcting and resuming basal once I do replace the pod takes a couple of hours to have an effect; it's not as fast as a regular correction such as when I just over-eat.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service