It is my observation that while the Omnipod works for 72 hours, it appears that the insulin (Apidra) loses effectiveness during the last 24 hrs and I often run pretty high then. I haven't thoroughly documented this but intend to soon. It has come to my attention in researching this problem that both Apidra & Humalog indicate that the insulin in a pump reservoir should be discarded and replaced every 48 hours. This disconnect creates a problem with insurances and increases the cost of using Omnipod effectively by 1/3. Do you Omnipod users have some feedback about how long the insulin in your "reservoir" is effective? Which insulin seems to get the best overall results? I'm contemplating trying Novolog which appears to have a longer "life span", similar onset rate, peaks faster than Apidra but slower than Humalog. Expected duration for Novolog is 3-5 hours, Humalog 2-4 hours (max <5 hrs), Apidra 3-4 hours. What about "tails" on the three? Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Tags: Insulin, Omnipod, analog, brands, effectiveness

Views: 1704

Replies to This Discussion

Caleb's prescription is "as needed" and we've yet to have any trouble.

Lorraine,

Did Caleb see an A1c improvement from switching to Apidra and lowering the peaks ? Or did it make your lives easier in other ways ?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service