I would like to get comments from all of you Omnipod users for an idea that I would like to pursue.  Both my son and I use the Omnipod and one of the downsides of the system is downloading the data.  I usually try to download the PDM atleast once a week but at times I have a hard time getting the PDM from my son, who is now 17 and interested in cars and girls.  What I would like to do is build an adapter that plugs into the PDM that would allow the PDM to be downloaded at a settable time, using 3g or Wifi to a central database (almost similiar to the Copilot system).  Then I wouldn't have to track my son down and get his PDM because the data would automatically download.

Once the data has downloaded to the centralized repository the system would "Data Mine" looking for:

1. Trends in our A1C (30 day average BG)  (ie. is our A1c slowly creeping up and forecast when we would hit that # if nothing was to be done)
  2. Monitor BG testing (are we testing enough, morning, lunch, dinner, night time, etc and provide notification to remind us of our testing)
  3. Look at trends in our IC ratio (pre meal and post meal)(are we within 30 points?)
  4. Basal rates (if we haven't eatend for a period, which we all do, are our basal rates holding?)
  5. Basal rate testing reminders if the system determines that #4 is outside of the 30 point window or not enough data points available for analysis
  6. The system would give recommendations for settings (IC, basal, sensitivity) based up the data and the trends
  7. ????  (looking for more comments)

The user interface to this system would be through an iPad or iPhone App that would give you "Push Notifications" to alert you that something needs to be done or checked.  I find that it is easy to determine a problem but the big issue is what do I need to do to correct the problem and especially having a 17 year old off to college how, as a parent, can I monitor his BG without interfering with his college life but yet ensure he is maintaining his health.

I would love comments because this is something I am going to design and build.  I am a seasoned software engineer and have been developing embedded system software for avionics for 20+ years.  I have been hoping that the industry would step up and give us the tools we need but as a diabetic I know what is best for me and my son.  Insulet Corporation has given us an incredible product that has made my life wonderful.  I am wanting to take this product and move it to the next step where it becomes more of a prognostic tool to assist in having great #'s.

Keep in mind that in the avionics world this type of technology is used to monitor the health of aircraft engines which we fly daily.  Because of this type of technology it has become safer to fly.  Our bodies are machines and in some ways are repeatable.  Because we are repeatable we can also be trended to determine changes to the "norm".

So give me feedback as to what you would like to see in an iPad or iPhone App to assist you in your diabetes management. 

Look forward to hearing from you.

Views: 227

Replies to This Discussion

I hope you sent your comments to Insulet. I don't understand half of what you wrote except the results and if all that could be done, you get my vote. Oh, and while you're at it can you find a way to upload all this data to a MacIntosh? Thanks.
Actually, I'd like to see a Google phone app.
android most def! ...not everyone uses an iphone/ipad/ipod something that would be universal to all
While I think the program itself might be useful and a great idea, I am concerned about your motivation. No parent wants to hear this but as your son goes off to college he's an adult and responsible for his own health now. Sure, help him out whenever you can and provide support but you've got to let him find his own diabetes regiment... otherwise he'll just end up rebelling against it even more. The easier it is for us the better off we are and the more likely we are to make changes, but you've got to let him make the changes and take charge of the diabetes himself.
+1
ROCK ON Mitchell! Add me to the supporters list! ( I cant think of any other improvements that would fit into your technical scheme right now, but i will continue to give it thought).
Mitchell,
That would be a great product. You're trying to do the right thing for yourself, your son, and thousands of other people with diabetes that use the Insulet OmniPod system!

I'd like to work with you on this. I have over 25 years of embedded development experience (HW and SW), including the Medtronic MiniMed Guardian RT CGMS (SW Team Leader) and the Insulet OmniPod (both Pod and PDM - SW Team Member).

I sent you an invitation to be friends. Read my profile to learn more about me. Also go to www.pancreum.com to see what I'm working on. In addition, as a hobby, I write iPhone diabetes apps. Check out the App Store for a few apps I have there (Pancreum).

Cheers,
Gil
Gil,
Just read your website. Very cool. I didn't realize until just now that you are pursuing your own tubeless pump/cgm. Are you really in beta with a product?
No, I only have a prototype for the CGMS. Unfortunately, we still have a couple of years to go until we get to that point. The main reason is lack of investment capital...
Gil
Mitchell,

I would be interested in helping as well. I'm currently a flight software engineer at LASP (Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics) and before moving to LASP I worked for the Air Force. I design the hardware and software for scientific instruments used to study space weather. I also write iPhone apps as a hobby, I've written a chess clock for both the iPhone and the iPad, they're called Merkmatics Chess Clock and Game Clock for iPad. I have also worked in the pharmaceutical industry and have been published for my research in Computational Chemistry, basically using data mining techniques to predict how different compounds would behave after being placed in the human body.

I am a type I diabetic and I have been considering improving the Omnipod system for a while now. I was mostly focused on replacing the PDM entirely, but I think the FDA would frown on such an approach. I haven't made much progress on this mostly because of lack of time, I think it would be really productive to have a team of like minded people to collaborate with.

As for your idea I think the most interesting part to me would be the data mining to pull out trends, possible causes and even suggestions on how to bring the numbers down. Of course working on the hardware and software would be interesting as well.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Mat
i really wish I could be of help, but it seems this is a group (on this thread) WAY beyond my mental capacity! Y'all go to it, and GOOD LUCK! You alll have ALL of us behind you! ( I dare speak for the entire group)(rather precoscious, no?)
Mat, Mitchell,
This product (both HW and SW) will also need to go through FDA approval. That is because it gets data from the PDM and re-sends it to a central location and then makes decisions "for settings (IC, basal, sensitivity) based up the data and the trends."
It is also necessary to get Insulet to share its PDM communication protocol specifications (IR and/or wireless), so the this SW can be written to talk to it.
It's not as simple as it seems and could take a couple of years of development (and FDA approval) before it can be commercialized.
Cheers,
Gil

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service