My daughter experienced a strange (at least to us) failure of her PDM yesterday. She put on a new podd late yesterday afternoon. At dinner, she gave herself her bolus and during the bolus the PDM started to make a whining noise. She found out that the PDM and podd had lost communication. She called Insulet and they said the problem was probably with the batteries in the PDM.
The batteries in the PDM were fresh Duracells which had been put into the PDM the day before. The Insulet rep told her that the PDM would have to be reset. After finishing the reset, she was instructed to put new batteries in the PDM. The PDM seems to be fine now. One problem was that all of the history for yesterday was lost - older history was not impacted. This was problematic since the failure occurred in mid bolus and we were uncertain how much had been delivered. The rep was surprised that the current day's history had been lost and was not aware that this could happen.
I was not aware that batteries could cause this type of failure. A couple of things that I learned was that whenever you change batteries, you should make sure that you are on the home page. I would think we were on the home page when we changed the batteries the day before but I can not be certain of that. The other new discovery was to make add a paper clip to our diabetic supply travel list since a paper clip or toothpick is needed to reset the PDM.
Curious to see if others have experienced this type of failure.