Hello all,

I am curious what other members have experienced over the last 8 – 12 months as relates to pod failure rates. I have been using OmniPod for a year now and since May 2010, I have had failure a failure rate of 20 – 30 percent. This is not occlusions… my failures seem to occur after wearing the pod anywhere from 4 – 20 hours. I have only had one failure during the priming process. I move my pod location (arm, leg, stomach, etc…) each time I change (3 days if I am lucky) and also change the specific placement location when I go back to an area. I also keep my insulin at room temp. and store my pods in a different room from where I normally change them.

I am really frustrated with the loss of insulin, having to change a pod after only wearing it for a few hours, making calls to customer service, etc… I will say the representatives I speak with are excellent, they process the call and send out replacement pods ASAP, it’s just I feel the failure rate is unacceptable. When I inquire as to what the “alarm code” represents, I can not get a “real” answer; I’m a tech guy so I’m curious as to what is causing all my failures.

I do carry extra pods (2 -3), insulin, and a Humalog pen at all times so I am not worried about my numbers going high.

Just looking for insight, suggestions, etc…  as I am seriously considering switching to a traditional pump.

Thank you everyone!

Al…

Views: 666

Replies to This Discussion

"Mom" -
Bless you and the care you show for Sophia! I know, the company is frustrating and it makes you want to go out to Mass and see what they really do in the plant...but all I can say is, PATIENCE PLEASE! Just hold on, and it will get better, it does seem to go in phases, sometimes I have a series of bad pods an entire month! The whole "cannot be in the same box" thing is just serious BS. I had so many pods go bad out of the same box once I was calling Insulet everyday for at least a month!! Finally, when I comjplained enough, they sent me an entire new case. Again, its the spueaky wheel! The concept of the pod is a great thing, even though they have NOT perfected it yet. They even admitted publicly that there were too many bad products being shipped out a couple months ago, and they were "tightening QC" to make it better. Dont know exactluy what the probllem was or how they remedied it, but I still have about a 20% failure rate. (two out of every box go bad). Still, it would take alot to mobve me off the pod, at this point! Stay connected, and again, keep your head! PEACE! When the pods work they are GREAT.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service