So having had the recent issues with knocks – and the Pod shutting down but screaming - today was another day of errors ! so at 15.15 hrs today I had to change my Pod – I have moved the active vial of humalog out of the fridge as suggested (Working well – no bubbles) - I had a meeting that finished at 16.30 – leaving me 30 mins to change and get to my client for 17.30. But no – last Pod in my box at work – I kinda knew in my heart it wasn’t going to initialise !! No beeps to way the PDA was going to see it – No pod ! Rather than being hacked I switched to syringe and vial for 3 hours. It just makes me feel vulnerable rather than angry.

Views: 544

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry you had a bad day, Jgos! Those are the worst when I forget to bring enough supplies! And doesn't Murphy's law always strike at moments like that?!?! :)

I have used pods that do not double beep as long as the pdm will prime them. In the future, that might help you. Even if you don't use it for the full 3 days, you could get through the meeting and home for a new pod.

I thought I had heard that before - tried it - but of course the PDA would have none of it !! I reckon I just need to make that call to the European supplier and give all the serial numbers of the pods - hear the normal message - and move on.

sorry to hear about it...Jgos! Your experience is exactly why I say in my profile..."Ominipod...so MDI 50% of the time!" And I still believe it is true, when asked "how do you treat/control your diabetes?" Wnen you are using the Ominipod, you are using shots AT LEAST 50% of the time. Good Luck, and PEACE

Sorry Steve - I dont get the "shots" point ? New to pumpimg - only a year now with Omni -

I'm sorry I wasnt more clear...I just mean "I have to use MDI (multiple daily injections) whenever a pod fails on me, which is at least 50% of the time. I hope you are having better luck, but it sounds like you are not.

Reading about all these failures is a bit disconcerting for me....I've only been on the pods for a month, and so far so good (except for one "failure" in which no reason was given, it just told me to discard it). Other than that, so far so good.....let's hope it stays that way. My biggest "problem" so far is just finding a good spot. I'm fairly thin - not much "chub" to work with. I just really hope I don't start getting a bunch of failures, because I really like not having tubing. It's almost like I'm not wearing a pump at all.

I'm fairly thin too. I've got through 50 pods now, though, without any problems. I rotate between four sites: upper arms (somewhat toward the back) and the sides of my body at belly button height, again towards the back.

The injector only goes in 10mm, and it's at a slight angle. I can grip about 10mm of flesh in those four areas (a little more in the arm, but some of it is muscle). No problems so far.

John Bowler

I actually push down on the "nose" of the pod for insertion. I tried pinching up once and screwed it up. Seems to work fine, for me, at least.

I pinch around the nose of the body so that my skin is raised up by about the length of the canula - about 10mm. When I have failed to do this, on my upper arm, I ended up with something that felt like it might have been in my arm muscle.

I guess it all depends on how much fatty tissue you have where the canula goes in.

My son has been on the Omnipod for 2 and a half years and in that time has had 1 injection. Not to say there haven't been multiple pods that have failed, and a new PDM (or maybe 2?) but we've never had to resort to an injection.

Only 3-4 months for me, but if I did have to give myself an injection I think I'd feel like I had regressed to the dark ages.

Jgos - Did you never have to use Injections? Before the pump, how did you take your insulin? By "shots" I mean injections, that is the "slang" in USA.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service