Hey all!
I've read a lot of posts on here, but can't seem to find any specific to this issue.

I was changing my pod out the other night. Everything was going just fine, I was following the directions, but when I went to fill the new pod with the insulin, it never gave those two beeps (I guess those are to let you know it senses the insulin in there?). I didn't use that pod, and instead used a different one with no problem.

BUT now the pod gives two series of beeps every few minutes. It's not very loud and we can ignore it, but I wasn't able to find in the instruction book what these beeps mean.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I still use the pod next time I need to change? Will the pdm recognize it?
2. If I can't use the pod, can I extract all that insulin out of there? I tried previously, but wasn't able to get anything but some bubbles. I hate to waste it!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Views: 723

Replies to This Discussion

If the Pod does not double beep after you have filled it, I was told by an Insulet reo tgat ut sgiykd be immediately disposed of and Insulet will replace it. This has happened to me at least 1 hundred times! Good Luck, and PEACE.

As an additional note, Insulet also recommends you withdraw the insulin from every bad pod, which for some (me included) is actually a tough task (My wife has become an expert, however).

If I have a pod that's beeping, and the PDM won't deactivate it, I pry the two halves apart and remove the spring that provides power to the speaker. Sometimes I can do it by hand, sometimes I have to work a knife blade between the two halves (a dinner knife, not a sharp one).

I've had multiple pods do this to me. Try priming the pod even if you don't get the beeps after filing it. Each time I've still been able to prime the pod and use it without issue.

What about one LONG loud screech from the pod while it's priming, then the message on the pdm that it isn't able to communicate with the pod...even though it's sitting right next to it??

KCCO.7 -

Happens more ofen than it shiuld...I just call 'em in and get replacements, then have my better half get the insulin out and try again!

I definitely sucked the insulin out of that bad boy as soon as I got home. But I was trying to change it out at work and the loud screech was a little embarrassing. Guess I've just gotten a couple of duds lately.

Thats crappy when it happens at work....happens at 3:00 am as well, wakes us up and forces a mid sleep pod change (those are the cases that really bug me), in any case .... keep a stiff upper lip...and PEACE.

I think you have had most of your questions answered so will just mention that if you are trying to remove insulin on a new pod you need to remove the cannula cap other wise you create a vacuum. Had a Lady from this site mentioned it and I realized what I had been fighting. I like you hate to loose a full load of insulin. Best wishes.

Michael- Thanks for the note....how does one remove the cap? I do appreciate your help...and PEACE!

Steve D When you do a normal install you pop the plastic cap off and remove the adheisive covers. The cap is what I was referring to. Makes sense that the cannual would be sealed so as to keep sterile. I used to recover unused insulin at the end of the three days but quit because the next pod seemed to not have as good glucose control. I have never had problems recovering insulin from an installed pod only an uninstalled one hence the cap issue.

THANK YOU MICHAEL!! I never realized (in my 5 years of omnipod usage) that that cap could be reinstalled! So, you just place it back on tha pod and press, I assume? in any case, thank you and good luck to you! I see that you are a long tiome T1...over 50 years?! Good for you and keep on keeping on!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service