Hey all!
I've read a lot of posts on here, but can't seem to find any specific to this issue.

I was changing my pod out the other night. Everything was going just fine, I was following the directions, but when I went to fill the new pod with the insulin, it never gave those two beeps (I guess those are to let you know it senses the insulin in there?). I didn't use that pod, and instead used a different one with no problem.

BUT now the pod gives two series of beeps every few minutes. It's not very loud and we can ignore it, but I wasn't able to find in the instruction book what these beeps mean.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I still use the pod next time I need to change? Will the pdm recognize it?
2. If I can't use the pod, can I extract all that insulin out of there? I tried previously, but wasn't able to get anything but some bubbles. I hate to waste it!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Views: 744

Replies to This Discussion

The pod may not have given two beeps, which could be an indication there was something wrong w/ it. I have used pods before that didn't give two beeps and they've been fine. I know others have used them and had issues. Now days if I get a pod that fails to do the double beep, yes, I extract that insulin and fill a new pod. It takes some finagling to get the insulin out, but it can be done.
Now the pod seems to be "registering" that it has insulin in it and wants to connect to the PDM. It may throw an error before the next time to change a pod so it is likely that you'll just need to "kill" this one (for me it means ripping the top off and pulling out the two springs that touch the metal disc in the lid to prevent it from beeping). Some throw them in the freezer to keep them from beeping/screeching. Some get after it w/ a hammer...whatever your stress level calls for I would think ;)

I read somewhere that there is a pinhole button somewhere on the device to push to silence the device. Is that true?

In theory yes, there's a sort of dimple about 3/4 of an inch from the viewport and towards the side of the pod. If you stick something small (pin, paperclip, etc.) in it it's supposed to disconnect the sound. Problem is I think I can only get it to work about 3% of the time.

lol to the "3%". I have to agree w/ that. I have never gotten it to work :)

Yes in theory there is a pinhole on the top (it is located "on top" of the the disc that you can see on the top). I've never had success at getting the beeping/screeching to stop using this method. I typically rip the pod apart from the back edge. I use a screw driver if I'm at home, but in a pinch I can just use my hands (use your fingernail to get it started but this is def not an "easy task").

I find the best way to silence a "screamer" is to drop it in the freezer and it will stop in about 10 minutes. Thats what I do with all my screamers, Which is far too many.

Problem with this is that when you take them out of the freezer they start screaming again. They've got to stay there until the trash goes out and I'm always afraid the trash pick-up people will refuse to pick up a bag that's making strange electronic noises.

LOL. Best way to stop a screamer?

1. Place screaming pod on hard surface (preferably concrete).
2. Pick up hammer.
3. Smash said pod.

Voila, no more screaming.

I have never experienced a Pod that gets back to screaming when it comes out of the freezer. In that case, I would use the method Mikep recommends here, just smash it to bits....although in that case you forfeit the right to send it back to insulet for a replacement...although it does allow one to take out your anger on the &^%$ing thing!

I live in Alaska and spend a lot of time outdoors in nasty cold weather. All this talk about deactivating pods by putting them in the freezer makes me a little nervous since I live in such a cold environment. Is it safe to assume the pod actually attached to me will be OK because of body heat-- even if it is -30 out? I haven't actually started the pod yet, just joined this group to learn more about it because it appeals more to me than other options.

I would think so, but your local rep would probably be able to give you more advice regarding this, since they live and work there too.

The term "local" takes on a whole different meaning up here though. My "local rep" is in Seattle-- which is about 1500 miles away and essentially a whole different country:)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service