Hey everyone! I have my appt. next week with my Pump Educator to get me going on the OmniPod! I was wondering about you people that are runners, can you share any tips? In my mind I am thinking I will like having the pod in my triceps area, but maybe you can share with me what sites you have found that work well while out running.

Also I do some strength training, does that mess with the cannula? For example if I had it on the back of my arm and was doing tricep work, would it be an issue.

THANKS!!!

Views: 1218

Replies to This Discussion

HI. I am considering all pumps right now, leaning towards the omnipod but my dr.is urging me to go with a miinimed for data compiling. I am a very active athlete and like the idea of no tubing. I will be doing my first triathlon this summer and also surf and stand up paddle board (when at the ocean) Do you find the omni pod to be the best for active people. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Omnipod is waterproof. I believe the minimed is not.

What data does the Minimed compile that Omnipod doesn't would be a question I would ask. Is your dr thinking of the Minimed with the CGM connected to it? I am a windsurfer so that's been a challenge as well as biking, soccer, kayaking, and hockey. The OmniPod has been fantastic under my wet suit and would be a much better fit for the surfing and paddle board (you can do that in rivers too -- we just haven't bought one but have a paddle and paddle our big floaty windsurfers). I used a Disetronic pump for two years because it was water friendly. The tubing drove me nuts and I went back to MDI using Lantus and Humalog until the Omnipod became available to me in 2008. I was diagnosed in 1966 and despite its annoyances, it's by far the best tool I've had to take care of me. I have a DexCom CGM too and my goal is to find a way to wear it on the windsurfer. Another woman and I are experimenting to find the best waterproof case. If you do choose the Omnipod (and I think you'd be very happy with it), I would anchor it with hypafix in the triathalon endeavor. This issue is addressed in other Discussion topics where you'd get better advice than I can give you as I'm not much of a runner. I don't know if you've been on a pump before but one thing you might consider is what kind of insulin you choose. I used Apidra until recently but switched to Novolog because I was noting that after two days I would pretty consistently have a rise in BG levels. With some research I found that both Apidra and Humalog users are advised to only use them for 2 days in a "reservoir". The Omnipod is designed to be used about 3 days so if you have to change out every two it ups the cost considerably (1/3). Switching to Novolog has solved that problem for me and I am doing much better. Good luck.

Never had too much of a problem with pod sites while running. Some sites tend to allow the pod to flop up and down more than others. If that happens, I just use a couple of strips of Opsite to secure the pod a bit more.

I've never had a problem with arm sites when I lift weights.

Both those things being said, some "insertions" have been troublesome. Usually, if there's going to be a problem with a site, I'll know right away. I had one insertion that was so painful, I buckled over and had to remove the pod immediately.

I've had a couple of occasions where an insertion was too close to a muscle and I didn't find out until I exercised, but there was really no way to anticipate where those particular sites were. I just learned by trial and error to avoid individual spots.

Good to know, thanks for your reply. I am worrying far too much about stuff I think!!

I love wearing my pump on my my tricep area for running and lifting, but I also like the love handle area. If I feel the pod is in an area that jiggles...I will take some hypafix tape and put it across the pod. I aslo like to wear more compression tops when I have it on my stomach so it feels more secure :)

I have quite a few compression tops and was wondering if those would cause you to feel the insertion area more, I guess not. Yippee!! Thank you.

Hope this pic works. This stuff is called Hypafix. It can be put how ever you like over the pod..or just to hold down a loose corner... it is strong and made like the same stuff that holds down the pod. My son has started being way more active and this stuff is the best thing since sliced bread! I just ordered 2" sized from the internet... but it even comes wider if you want.

The pic is fabulous!! Thank you so much.

I run 3-4 times a week. It doesnt matter where I put the pod because I tape it down everytime I start a new pod. Please talk to your trainer about setting up a lower basal rate to use while running to avoid going to low. Sometimes I turn my basal off completely depending what my starting BG level is at when i start my run.

Definitely going to set up a program for my running. Thanks for the taping tip, I guess that way you are SURE there will be no problems.

Cool! I am going to check that out. Thanks so much, you guys are all so helpful!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service