Hi everyone. Tim's been on the omnipod for 3 1/2 weeks and we've had to have 5 pods replaced in this time. Last night was horrible. First, when we primed the pump it gave the scream of death. Called, and they will replace it. Then the next one we got an occlusion during bolusing for dinner. No clue how much of the insulin he got then as it didn't show a total like they thought it would, so the guy was going to do his 'best guess' for us. I thought I'd heard that it finishes delivering the amount needed when the new pod is put on, but guess not? Then, it had a communication error not long after putting the 3rd pod on. Three different problems in the same night. Very frustrating. Even though they are replacing each of the pods, this is not how I envisioned this system. I think 5 pod/pdm problems in a 3 1/2 week period is too many. He is now hooked up to his MM pump at his request. Any ideas of what we may be doing wrong? Is this normal? He loves the freedom of no tubing, but it doesn't seem like the trade off is worth it. Does anyone else have this many problems, or is it just us? Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

Views: 93

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting tip about storing the boxes of pods with a dryer sheet! I'll try that. We do always use insulin at room temp. When one bottle gets low, we pull out another one at that time to be sure it's had a long time to get to room temp. And we do fill it very slowly as well. We haven't kept the pod in the tray before, so will do that too now. I'm going to try the sticky tape like you mention as well. We do use flexifix tape over it both directions and under it as well to help keep it still, and on him. But we'll try this trick too. So you don't pinch up the skin during insertion? But instead, press down on the needle end? Interesting. We'll try that too. Thanks for all your helpful tips! Trying another pod today,,,,,,,,crossing fingers, lol.
Give it some time. I've had the Omnipod for 6 months now and while I have had some frustrations I am catching my stride and absolutely love it now. One time I had 3 pods go bad in a row and I was over having the Omnipod. But if you weigh the positives next to the negatives the good outweighs the bad. Your son can hid the pod on his butt cheek and not have tubing and dealing with that drama. I would give any pump at least 6 months.
We're ready to deal with it again now, and will be trying another pod today, using the helpful tips I've gotten here.
One more thing...once you have a pod alarm on you, or you deactivate an expired pod, be sure to clear out the pdm before you start up a new pod. The pdm will say something like...Do you want to activate a pod now? Our trainer told us to hit no about 6 times before you start up the new pod. I'm not really sure why, but sometimes you have a pod problem, deactivate it and then the next one also alarms right away - this seems to help clear things out for some reason.
Wow, I hadn't heard of doing that before either. Will be sure to do that today at activation time. Thanks again for all your helpful advice!
We were also having that problem early on. Our pod problems were always in multiple 2s or 3s. We were told by Insulet to make sure that the old pod was deactivated, and removed from the area and then start the activation process on the new pod. They thought the PDM was getting confused and deactivating the new pod or trying to activate the old pod which it knew had an error. So now we take the old pod to our pod recycle bag in another room before starting the pod activation.

We also had a lot of problems with a box of pods left on the edge of the table (instead of stored away in a cabinet) when we changed his pod. I don't know if the PDM tried to activate all of them or if they had a manufacturing problem but most of them errored.

They also cautioned us about anything electronic that might interfere such as remote phones, hand held game systems, ipods and cell phones being between the pod and the PDM when activating it. It was hard to rule out any one thing because my 17 year old usually had all of these at the table when activating the pod.
Great information too! Thanks. I'll make sure we have everything electronic out of the way from now on.
I tried the pod and but so many fall off. Simply not work for me. I am back on an MM pump.

Not sure what to do with my Pod stuff. I hate to just throw it away so maybe I will list it on Ebay. It has EVERYthing and I used it for 4 months.

I loved the freedeom of no tubing but not Pods dropping off and often NOT being accurate,was too much.

nfy
P.S.

I wanted to add that if you try the Pod and it does not work, The USER has not failed!

The technology needs refining and I hope that one day it will be something I can try again.

It works for many people, I hope it works for your son.

Good Luck!!!

nfy,
I have had zero problems with Pods falling off and I surf. Maybe your experience was not great but mine has been.
My son is 17 and we had a lot of problems in the beginning also. We had so many problems that we changed our RX from 2/week to 3/week because we were afraid that we would run out of pods. But, I would encorage you to try again soon, although it is OK to go back to the familar for a day or two. It is stressful learning anything new and this is so critical, it makes it even more so.

My son got a lot of occlusions on his arms - we still use the arms in his rotation but only for the first 2 days but he mostly uses the hips. If we make it to the third day on the arms without an occlusion, his numbers are high. We could not get them to stay on his stomach very well when he played hockey. Then someone suggested the back of the hip. He was reluctant to try that but now it is his favorite spot. Absorption is great, it is out of the way and he wears Under Armour compression shorts to keep it tight against his skin.

But, he loved the Omnipod so we adjusted the RX. It has been almost a year and with our auto order set to ship at the first of June, I have 5 full boxes in the cabinet and more supplies stashed at school that will be coming home soon.

Has anyone had to skip or adjust a Pod Order ? Can you just call them or do they have to adjust the doctor's orders ?
I got my prescription upped to more pods, it wasn't a problem. I also wear my pod mostly on the back on my hip, I never have problems there. Also I love the Under Armour idea.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service