would like to know if there are others on an insulin pump that still cannot seem to control their blood glucose levels
Latest Activity: Jun 28
Started by sweetgurl2010. Last reply by Arny Dec 6, 2013.
Started by Arny Dec 6, 2013.
Started by renka. Last reply by renka Nov 26, 2011.
Hi everyone! I'm Karen. I've been type 1 diabetic for 30 years and just started the pump in March (4 months ago). I am very sensitive to insulin, so my trainer would enter my settings too high so I'd have lows then highs. My biggest problem is that when the pump isn't delivering properly my bs goes to over 500 and I become very ill. I was ready to throw the pump out the window. So I found some info about "untethered" pumping. I started taking Lantus (injection) as around 75% of my basal so I would always have insulin inside of me to avoid that. The other 25% basal was through the pump. I did this for a week and my BS became VERY level...more than at any other time I've been on pump (minimed 523). My doctor had a fit. Then I became very upset. WHY can't I do this the way it works for me? I changed back the day after my appt. to HER way. She set basal waaaayyy to low. I was nauseous and ill the very first day. and BS was over 300 most of the day. I had to change my settings AGAIN. I feel like I'm not allowed to run my own life. It was working more effectively when I figured it out myself than when doc or trainer were tweaking it. (venting). Anyone else have this problem??
I am having trouble with my insulin pump. My b;lood scores are still normal or high. I talked to the Diabetic Pump coach has changed things around again. I hope this last adjustment will help. Well I have to admit my BG has only gone up to the 300+ instead of the 500's it used to do occasionally. My last reading at the Doctor's office was 200 plus and minus 100.
Well my BG was in the 600's when I started using the pump, but now it is in the 100's and occasionally the 200's For me it is doing better. Don't do like i have done and ruined my eyes, kidneya, pancreas and liver basically from having too high a BG.I have one friend on this site who gives me encouagement almost every day. He has said that eventually I will adjust to the pump. I sure hope so.
Islandgrl, I totally understand. I am not controlling my BS w/pump, either. I eat all of the wrong things, pump for it, and then cover the high BS with another bolus. a constant circle of bad BS control.
Joinor Sign In
(Head of Communities, has type 1)
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)
(Head of Experience, has type 1)
(Development Manager, has type 2)
Desiree Johnson (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)
Brian (bsc) (has type 2)
Gary (has type 2)
David (dns) (type 2)
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
© 2014 A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.
Contact Us |
Terms of Service
Please check your browser settings or contact your system administrator.