My daughter is having problems adjusting in 1st grade. She is now 7 and was diagnosed at 4yo. I have tried different things and now I am wondering if her diabetes may have something to do with her attitude. Just grasping at straws here. She is such a smart kid and I am having issues with her father and the fact that he tends to baby her because she has diabetes and he feels bad that she has to deal with this and now she has celiac as well. She just went to the Dr. today and now has to take Zantac as well because she is having stomach issues with the gluten free diet. I have to punish her for what she is doing in school but I am just not sure if her it is all her personality(very strong) or if it might be something else.

Views: 122

Replies to This Discussion

Every parent knows what is the best for their own kids. Sometimes you need to push hard other times you need to be more soft. I and my wife we treat Manoel just like any other kid as his age (8y/o). Play a lot of different sports and almost have no restrictions in general... But we try to put lots of limits and responsibilities on him and he is compensated very well. i believe you will find your own way. Sometimes a psychologist can be of great help. Take care and good luck. Gustavo.

Hi Holly,

My daughter is also 7 years old and she has problems at school and with peers sometimes. She was diagnosed at 3 years old. It is hard to know how much she is affected by diabetes; she does not talk about it much (and I hate to bring up the subject if she is not having issues related to diabetes). She has an extremely stubborn and pessimistic attitude. It really saddens me because I am really an optimist and I feel like our house is a pretty happy place, for the most part.

I also have a 16 year old daughter who has always been much more easy going and positive. I think that the majority of their differences are simply personality (I even believe they were born with a lot of it since their differences were obvious as babies), but I also wonder how much our treatment of her since her diagnosis could cause some of her behavior. I think we sometimes do a little more than we should for her (subconsciouly I think it is partly because we feel bad that she has to deal with the daily chore of diabetes). Also, if her blood sugar is high or low I don't want to punish her too harshly because I know she feels absolutely horrible. I apologize for not offoring you answers; I guess I just wanted to let you know that I definitely relate to your post.
I wish you the best and I agree that meeting with a psychologist may be helpful. I may decide to do that with my daughter in the future. I am interested to hear how others reply to this post since I think I need the advice just as much as you do! If you ever need a sypathetic ear, feel free to message me!!
Aimee

it sounds like she has probably had a tough year esp adjusting to the celiac, she probably feels like there are alot of can'ts in her life and maybe she is rebelling, just speculating .... i know i tend to baby my son still because i feel bad about his burden he is 13 now! but i also try to compliment him on handling his diabetes and also try to talk about other issues in his life as well .. all the details of their disease makes it easy for it to take front and center.. however i do think as aimee suggested that their personalities are set, my guy is sensitive which can be good ( he is empathetic to others concerns and generally a pretty self motivated, happy guy, but he can get stuck into feeling bad for himself "i hate diabetes....everything is terrible.. teenage strife) i would stay in close contact with her teachers maybe get the school counselor involved but try just complementing good behavior for a while and see what happens, hoping for the best for both of you, best wishes, amy

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service