My 11 yr old son was diagnosed 6 months ago and started on the pump (Animas Ping) today. He was so excited to get the pump, but after a few hours he is ready to give it up. He does not like the weight of it and feels the tubing gets in his way. He is very active and plays a lot of sports. Right now he wears the pump with the clip that came with it. Does anyone have any advice?

Views: 127

Replies to This Discussion

Our 14 year old wears pump clipped to the outside waist of her underpants, between jeans and underpants, although the pump under warranty is the Minimed, so she has to fish it out to bolus. You cannot tell she is wearing it, tubing completely hidden also. Animas Ping, you would not have to fish out the pump from its hiding place. There is a clip you can put on the back of the Animas pumps that you can wind the tubing around it.... don't remember the name of it.may be called the "clip it." That would mean that you could not use the clip used to secure pump to pants though. Animas has a slim clip, which I think comes in handy. Three new products I think work well. One is the spibelt, a runner's belt. They have model for diabetics with a hole in the back for the tubing. Thin and very discreet. Pump bands from pumpwear to go around the waist may work out well. Just purchased Tallygear tummietote, which is a spandex band secured by velcro which goes around the waist or hips, depending on size ordered. There are three pockets... one for the pump, one for glucometer, one for money. Probably, he would just slip the pump into one pocket. They will put a clear window in one of the pockets. There is one more product google diabetes belt. It is a very form fitting velcro band, with some elastic to secure the pump, very unique and discreet. I think all the above mentioned products are great. With any one of them, you can turn the belt around to put pump in small of back, hiding it entirely.
Diabelt.... Just ordered and received ours. Made by a Diabetic, for a diabetic. I believe the maker of the Diabelt is a male, as that is what his picture indicates. What a unique product. It is a two or three inch black elastic type band, very stretchable, with an elastic type holder for the pump built in to the belt. This is the sleekest, closest to the body pump pack I have ever seen. Have been looking for options for a "bandage style" black formal dress, very form fitting. This is similar to an Ace bandage... it fits that closely. Great product. She can turn this around and wear pump in the small of the back. He sews it shut so you have to stretch it over your head, shoulders, etc. and it is worn around the waist, not the hips. I ordered one her waist size and one two inches larger. Both will fit. Not sure how comfy as she has yet to wear it all day, but I consider this a great option. And priced at $5.95, very inexpensive. Just google "Diabelt" as this product is not extensively advertised.
My son has been wearing a pump for 5 years now. He started wearing the pump when he was 3. Because he was so little when he started pumping the pump looked huge hanging from his waist. So, I came up with an idea to "contain" the pump. I sew little pump-sized pockets into the inside of the waistbands of all of his pants. He puts the pump in the pocket and no one even knows it's there.

As far as being active with the pump: Riley plays baseball, soccer, and basketball. He has never had any issues wearing his pump and playing sports. Some kids needs to remove the pump to prevent lows. Riley's lows tend to come on a few hours after activities so he does best not disconnecting. I just sew little pockets into his uniforms and he puts the pump in there.
My 11 year old is super active too. We went to the bike shop and got one of those neoprene belt/sacks. The really small one that stretches. It stays snug against my son and he likes that. He hated the loose bags.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service