Hey folks,

I've joined your group temporarily to share some info I gathered at a UCSF diabetes symposium and kids' camp last weekend. The Diabetes Hands Foundation table was next to the table for an organization called Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF), which, as it turns out, represents the American Diabetes Association (ADA). DREDF has been fighting for years to ensure that children with diabetes can receive the care they need, including insulin administration, in California public schools.

Very important work.  Have any of you in this group run into problems getting adequate care for your kid in school?

Tags: kids, nurse, rights, school

Views: 391

Replies to This Discussion

I wished there was more help for teens with type 1 diabetes here in Miami, Fl. The public school system isn't trained or educated enough about this desease and children are denied and discriminated. I've been having issues with my daughter's high school since January 2012, it's gotten so bad that I have decided for my daughter to finish HS on Virtual School, where I can monitor and check her sugars properly. I understand that she's a teen and needs to take responsibility for doing certain things herself, but unfortunately she is also ADD and Mood Disorder, so it's conflictive to get her to do what she needs to on her own. I wish there was more for us parents, so we can help our kids more.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service