Hey folks,

I've joined your group temporarily to share some info I gathered at a UCSF diabetes symposium and kids' camp last weekend. The Diabetes Hands Foundation table was next to the table for an organization called Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF), which, as it turns out, represents the American Diabetes Association (ADA). DREDF has been fighting for years to ensure that children with diabetes can receive the care they need, including insulin administration, in California public schools.

Very important work.  Have any of you in this group run into problems getting adequate care for your kid in school?

Tags: kids, nurse, rights, school

Views: 375

Replies to This Discussion

A school cannot refuse to provide needed care. Nor can it pass along the expense of emergency care because it is failing to provide care to your child. Nor can it administer care that is inconsistent with your child's written treating physician's orders; that would be blanket policy, which is prohibited.

You can find your state law and guidance here

If your child's school is failing to deliver written physician's orders, you can:

1. File a written complaint. Document the date/time/persons involved in a letter sent to the District's Director of Student Services, or whomever is the designated person overseeing 504 Plans in your school district. (Emails don't get taken as seriously as letters.)

2. Engage your medical team to help you. Treating physicians and their teams can be of help by contacting your school principal to explain your child's needs.

3. If need be, work up the chain of command at the district level. If that fails to yield positive outcomes, then you may need to file a grievance with the U.S. Dept of Ed's Office for Civil Rights (OCR).

4. If you need to find an attorney or advocate in your local area, go tothe Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates

I actually sent a cert letter to the Superintendent and all his staff including the Attorney of record for the school district. Their response:

"In the case of acute hypoglycemia, Sophia's response to lower than standard dose of carbohydrates as set by our policy, even with Physician's orders and support, cannot be predicted. Specifically, treatment with just 4 grams of carbohydrates does not insure that her blood sugar levels will promptly return to normal levels and be sustained throughout the remainder of the day. Our school staff does not have the capacity or qualifications to identify and remedy the cause of Sophia's drop in blood glucose or provide the close, continuous blood glucose monitoring this situation requires. In the event you are required to pick Sophia up so that you can more closely monitor her condition, you may certainly return Her the following day at your discretion."

They just don't care and do not want to be bothered as she is the only child in that school with T1.
Thanks for the info - I will look into filing a complaint.

If you are able to document that their protocol has a negative impact on your daughter's bg levels, i.e. causing her bg's to become too elevated, that would be a way to demonstrate that their protocol is inappropriate for your child.

Again, engage your medical team. And don't give up!

How do we parents advocate for our children in a system that doen't work for them or in their favor. I advocate for 2 children with health issues, one is diabetic and the other a chronic severe asthmatic with middle lobe syndrome. I live in Miami, Fl and the school sytem here is really bad, you have principals who question parenting skills and counselors that instead of guiding their students they degrade them and bring their self esteem down. The lack of training and teaching of diabetes is big and brings fear to parents like myself.

I wished there was more help for teens with type 1 diabetes here in Miami, Fl. The public school system isn't trained or educated enough about this desease and children are denied and discriminated. I've been having issues with my daughter's high school since January 2012, it's gotten so bad that I have decided for my daughter to finish HS on Virtual School, where I can monitor and check her sugars properly. I understand that she's a teen and needs to take responsibility for doing certain things herself, but unfortunately she is also ADD and Mood Disorder, so it's conflictive to get her to do what she needs to on her own. I wish there was more for us parents, so we can help our kids more.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service