I really need suggestions for meal & snack ideas. My 3 yr old daughter Isabelle was diagnosed 2 months ago. She is on 15g carbs for her three snacks & 30 carbs for her meals. I feel she is eating the same thing day after day. My husband & I work full time, so she eats her breakfast quite early. We have had some problems with her dropping low when she goes to her babysitters (only in the morning), then she tends to go high in the after her nap.

When I read all your posts, everyone seems to know so much & at this point, I don't even know what food affects her BG...feeling a bit overwhelmed right now! Any advice is appreciated!

Views: 419

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Robin,
My daughter was diagnosed at 3 years as well. I am not a lot of help with the fixed amount of carbs since Vivian has always been on a fast acting insulin. We just cover for whatever amount of carbs that she eats. It sounds like your daughter may be on a different type of insulin. Everybody is different, so if the fixed amount of carbs works for you, that is great. If you want more freedom in the amount of carbs that she eats maybe you can ask her doctor about starting her on a fast acting inuslin. Since she would need insulin for every time she eats along with the long lasting insulin, it means more shots per day (usually 6-7), but can provide a bit more freedom on when and how much she can eat.
I agree with the other comment that you should go easy on yourself and try to avoid information overload. It is impossible to learn everything at once and since each child is different a lot of what others do will not apply to your child. You will be a complete expert about your childs diabetes before you know it! Just give yourself time. I was surprised to see how much easier everything got (my daughter was dx 3.5 years ago). Hang in there... I know how difficult it is to care for a diabetic toddler. As she grows older she will be more help; they can tell you when their blood sugars are low and also test and give themselves insulin. I remember the many times when Vivian would throw a fit and I would think that she definitely had low blood sugar. Then I would test her just to find that her blood sugar was fine and she was just acting like a 3 year old! That still happens every once in a while, but not nearly as much as it used to. I wish you the best and will keep your family in my thoughts!
Just curious and like you said.....everybody is different....but why would her daughter need 6-7 shots per day? My son gets humalog for his breakfast, lunch and dinner (3 shots) and lantus for his long acting (1 shot). The only time he gets more then 4 shots is if we need to do a correction dose, or if he chooses to have a bigger snack that is above the allowed amount of carbs for a snack.
Vivian was on 7 shots a day when she was 3 & 4 years old and then she went on a pump. She received a shot of fast acting insulin (Novolog) 5 times a day for food; 3 meals and 2 snacks. The other two shots per day were long lasting insulin (Lantus). We started on only 1 shot of the Lantus at night, but her body was metabolising it so quickly that it was not lasting the full 24 hours. This is when we broke it up between two shots; one at night and one in the morning. Sometimes she would have a no carb snack and we could knock out one of these shots; but it was usually 7 shots per day (and if she had high blood sugar in the middle of the night it could be 8). Thank goodness for the pump! : )
Thank you so much for the advice and positive thoughts. I feel more relaxed after reading all the excellent explanations. I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong! But now I feel more secure (for now!).
I like to think of snack time with kids as the ideal time to get in the fruits and veggies. Here are a couple ideas:
Celery with serving of peanut butter to = 5 carb, (or sunbutter if an allergy) and mini box of raisins (10 carb).
String or cube cheese and watermelon, or other fruit, 1/2 apple, 15 grapes...
1/2 apple and peanut butter...
This would never work for us. My son is going to be 13 years old and while it would be great for his snacks to be healthy....celery and peanut butter is not filling enough, nor is fruit. My son often has fresh fruit with his meals. Breakfast a banana, lunch and dinner cut up honeydew melon, grapes and strawberries and this way we can include it in his carb count and insulin for it. Back when he was first diagnosed, it was prime time for fresh fruit and we had fresh melon, strawberries, pineapple, raspberries, blackberries etc in the fridge at all times. Breakfast he would always have a bowl of fresh fruit with whatever he ate. Can't wait for good fruit again. As far as veggies go....he gets plenty of veggies at dinner. For his age....2-3 cups of veggies per day is the recommended serving and he exceeds that.

For me snack time has to be something that is going to hold my son over until his next meal. So I always tell him to make a wise choice with what he has. Again, the carb master yogurt at Krogers is perfect to pair with his snack. 4 carbs for the whole container. Sometimes he will mix granola cereal in it. Other times he will have it in addition to whatever other snack he chose. For snacks, I try to avoid buying anything that has as much sugar as it does carbs. Raisins are one thing that is almost even in carbs as it is sugar. My rule of thumb for snacks is it has to have half the sugar as it does carbs. (so if it was 10 carbs, the sugar would need to be 5 or less).
I agree that your sons nutritional demands are going to be much different than those of a three year old, as well as his time in which he has to eat a snack. Hopefully, he is able to dose to his snacks accordingly, so he isn't having a restricted diet.

Robin - I am guessing that your restricted carb amount is a temporary thing. Most doctors I have come in contact with discourage limiting food on growing children. As you gain more education and understanding of the disease, and as the doctor's gain better awareness for your daughters insulin needs, etc. this will get much easier! Good luck!
His snacks are restricted in that he can only have a snack that is under 30 carbs. He can go higher, but then has to give himself insulin which of course means another shot and he has only chose twice since he was diagnosed to get an extra shot for a bigger snack. We will begin the process for the pump in early May so not much longer and it will ease up a bit on the restrictions. We have everything down so well and his numbers have been so awesome, that I am really nervous about him switching to the pump and changing things. But...for him I am excited because I know what this means for him.
Hi. My daughter was diagnosed at 4 and in pre-school at the time. You may want to see what times they are giving the snacks and such and that might tell you as well. She may be dropping because she is being given too much insulin too closely together. Some snacks that I have found that are 15 grams are 5 saltines and two cheese sticks are 12, the pack of crackers with the spreadable cheese is 15, the little snack bags of ritz crackers with peanut butter is 16.

When my daughter was diagnosed I didn't know what was going on either and there is no one in my family that has this diease so it was all japanese to me. Just keep your chin up and you will get it. One thing that I can say is just roll with it because these things may change from day to day. Also don't beat yourself up and explain to your daughter what is going on. My daughter at 5 could test her own sugar and do her pump. When she started Kindergarten this year the nurse actually had to tell her to slow down because she was doing it so fast that the nurse couldn't see what was going on. Explain to her as much as you feel comfortable. Kids understand more than we think and they are able to take this is. Besides the more they understand the more they can explain to others. I remember we went to a friends house to pick her daughter up for soccer about 1 month after diagnosis and the little girl offered Francesca a cookie. She looked at her and told her she couldn't eat that she was diabetic and proceeded to explain to her new friend what that meant. It was a proud moment for me.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!
It would be hard to feed meals of 30 grams carbs each because amount is low; I would automatically bump that carb amount up to 40 because they have to have milk with each meal. And I would just tell the endo I want to give 50 grams for dinner and lunch and dose for it; you would be giving more insulin. But for dinner home made chicken cutlets or nuggets, with mashed potato (30 grams a cup). I would buy the low carb yogurts (there is a light and fit low carb yogurt 4 grams, I think; it does taste good), mix with cup of sliced strawberries, or strawberries and whipped cream or cool whip for desserts. 3/4 cup of rice, mixed with stir fried veggies, meat if she likes meat stir fried. Veggie platters with ranch or blue cheese dip. Meatballs with one cup of pasta (40 grams); I use Quinoa pasta in the turquoise box. This brand digests well and she actually gets one cup and a half of quinoa pasta, with sauce and meatballs and we only charge 40 grams for it. And still she may go low on it, no highs later on. Try that particular brand from quinoacorp.com and see if it works the same for you. She is getting 30 free grams.... I know, it's crazy! Never give this quinoa pasta without checking BS two hours after and covering remaining insulin in her system. I use it only if home. It allows her to eat a normal serving of pasta instead of just a small amount. And no highs later on like regular pasta. I would be making a lot of home made chicken soups and get low carb cookbooks if you have to stick to such low carb amounts. I know it can be done. There are lot of low carbers on this board and they have posted some phenomenal desserts on occasion. Blaine's Low Carb Kitchen show on cable (he has a website listing recipes also; he is quite inventive). Low carb friends, living la vida low carb; these sites offer inventive, low carb recipes. But most are high in fat. So I would ask the endo to up the carb amount. A banana alone could be 20 grams. I think kids need more fruits and complex carbs than 30 grams will offer.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service