Please forgive my lack of knowledge - if my question seems dumb, I apologize but I'm still trying to figure this out after only three months of dealing with my son's T1.

In reading an article about a night time monitor that works with pumps to alert parents to overnight lows, there were some scary info and stats cited, specifically:

"... most parents of little type 1s get up several times a night (or at least once at 3am!) to check their children’s blood sugar. Every night. Night after night. Week after week. Month after month. Year after year. For years. Why? Because nocturnal hypoglycemia is a real, persistent, common, and dangerous threat to type 1 kids. Which means the worst time for the parent of a little type 1 is when the sun sets and all the mythical fears of the night become very real.

In a study published in The Journal of Pediatrics, Dr. Màrta Beregszàszi and her colleagues estimated the prevalence of nocturnal hypoglycemia in type 1 children and adolescents is a whopping 47%; and nearly half the incidents were asymptomatic—meaning the children felt no symptoms of the low. Another study by Dr. Alexandra Ahmet places the prevalence as high as 68% and notes that 75% of all severe hypos in kids occur at night. And if that doesn’t chill your blood, consider Dr. Francine Kaufman’s 167-night CGM study of young boys that found in a full 27% of the nights, the boys dropped below 40 mg/dL in their sleep, and that the length of time they spent low was longer than previously believed."

OK, I will say that when my 13 year old son goes to bed and his readings are less than, say, 4.9, I do test him at about 1:30 or 2 a.m. But most nights, when his numbers are in the 5's or 6's, I leave him be and we've not had any trouble so far (that I know of, I guess...his morning numbers are always in the 5's for the most part). How worried should I be? He is (and always has been) an extremely deep sleeper, and I would be willing to wager that he'd not wake up from a low if it happened.

Anyone else out there with a child of similar age...do you check every night, regardless of bedtime test results? Does age have any relevance here? How confident should I be when I go to sleep at night that my son is going to be okay?

Panicking...

Tags: diagnosed, lows, newly, teenage

Views: 927

Replies to This Discussion

I would love to see some photos :) My son swears he doesn't want a pump at all.
I would totally be happy if the possibility of a Dexcom CGM was even an option in Canada but from what I hear it isn't available here yet :(

OK I was trying to cut and paste photos in here, but it wasn't working out so here is the link to the facebook album where I posted photos of him with his pump and sensor:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1716822837020.97114.113169...

He was 18 months old when these photos were taken (he was dx'ed at one year). As you can see from the other pictures, you don't notice he's wearing either device. It also doesn't slow him down at all.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service