I was on the pump for over a year and a half, but never got my A1c below 7.2%. I started having trouble with the infusion sites (rashes, etc) so I took a "break" from the pump that turned into more of an indefinite stay on MDI's using Lantus/Humalog.

But lately, my Lantus is giving me some trouble with boluses and I miss the ease of bolusing on the pump (easier to remember, easier to calculate irregular carb ratios, and getting out of the whole number range). So the thought crossed my mind about using my Lantus as my basal and the pump for my boluses...has anyone done this? Did it work well for you?

I know I don't want to go back on the pump full time...yes I understand that multitudes of people have great results with it, but I never could and it was always more trouble than it was worth. So I'm sticking with Lantus for my basal for an indefinite amount of time.

Tags: lantus, pump

Views: 1082

Replies to This Discussion

I've tried it for almost two weeks now. I'm definitely seeing better post-meal numbers (even experiencing a few lows while getting the carb ratio adjusted) than I do with injections.

Not sure how long I'll keep it up. The infusion sets still bug me (before when I was on the pump 24/7, I developed rashes because of them)...but not as bad as before. I'm hoping my body will adjust back to wearing it. No occlusions or clogs either.

I was on vacation for 1 week out of the 2, so it's hard to say if this will keep up. I'm definitely continuing it for a little while longer. Just wish I knew why I get such better numbers with bolusing with the pump than injections...absorption? accuracy? both?

I'll keep you guys posted on it!
Good question. Lows are normal I had those to until i got my bolus right. Could be an absorption problem. If you have pens that go by .5 increments, it should be about the same as using the bolus wizard I would think. I would go on a pump vacation for about 3 months. We are definitely in the same boat. Have you thought about changing sets?
Yea, I don't have the pens with half unit increments...do have syringes but haven't used them (got them the same time that I decided to try the pump for boluses). I went on a pump "vacation" in April, thinking I'd do it for like 3 weeks...but couldn't bring myself to go back on. I never could get the basals to work. Lantus drops my A1c much better than the pump ever did. Lows are definitely normal for me...prone to severe ones and seizures. So I try to limit them as much as possible, hypo unawareness is way too scary.

I tried another set (on a Minimed 522)...the Silhouette. But had the same problem with the rashes/itching. I have super sensitive skin (can't even use normal soap!) so I think it's just that. The set I put in today seems to be less itchy/red...so hopefully I've adjusted.
I was on Lantus. I started at 20 units a night, I kept getting krazy A1c above 7 like you. Eventually I was up to 45 units a night. To me, that was a painful shot everynight. I was also on 3 shots of apridra every day with my meals. I am now on a medtronics 722 pump and I love it. I am only using Novolog in my pump. This of course for both basal and bolus. I was scared of this at first, but it worked out to help control me, when I was out of control constently.

Hal Goldstein
itshal2@yahoo.com

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service