T1 women on MDI, what's your experience with lows during intimacy?

T1 women, it's time for TMI.

Having been diagnosed only last October then kicked to the curb by my partner two months later, I haven't truly been in a circumstance of intimacy since.  On the one or two occasions prior to being dumped I could feel myself dropping which, coupled with the distraction of the D's newness, put a screeching halt on everything.  Now, having met someone with whom intimacy seems an eventuality before too much longer, I fear tanking and the necessity of correcting -- not to mention the associated disruption.

I suppose a good preventive measure would be testing before and making necessary adjustments (and NOW I understand the issue of timing and men not using using prophylactics!), and I'm hating the thought of the impact on spontaneity.  And I suppose I should have the additional insurance of a six-pack of juice close by (again, kinda puts a damper on spontaneity, especially as to place).

And just one more wrench in the mix is the fact that we women can typically expect to spend A LOT of time together, yes?  Just one of the unsung joys about being who we are...

May I hear tips and suggestions as to how you "prepare" -- and maintain?  I'd especially be interested in hearing how you've calculated bolus injections specifically for occasions of intimacy, compared to other times, and how/whether your low symptoms during intimacy differ from "usual" lows.

Thanks ever so much.

-vicki

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

I once had to put the festivities on hold because my sugar dropped. After a piece of bread and a little bit of honey, I was good to go. Also was much younger and more easily engaged. :) Test before hand, if you can't test, have a little carb. You can correct later. You got diagnosed and then dumped? Wow. I hope whomever did this to you is suffering from severe abdominal cramps.
Leave it to SFPete to be the first to respond to a discussion entitled "T1 women..."! (I love you, man!)

I laughed hysterically when I read the last line of your response. As it happens, she does have horrible cramps with her period, enough that she's out of pocket at least one day if not two every month. Between you and I (and the other 95 people in this group), one thought that made getting through the last ten months easier is knowing that I have MANY MORE choices in meaningful potential partners than she does. She's into kink, something I can never understand, and the pool for that even in this community is rather shallow.

Thanks for the tip.
It probably was a little brash of me to answer. I figure the principle is the same. You're getting busy and your sugar drops. Now I'm a little aghast at my rushing in where angels fear to tread.

Bad cramps? Sometimes the cosmos can bring justice. I bet the onset was an emotional rollercoaster, too. I lived in a house of 4 women and 2 men. Me and my nephew. Probably why I usually consider myself one of the girls.

How long did you hang with this woman? I have a friend and her husband is into bondage. She's not so much. It makes for an interesting agreement. And no small amount of awkwardness when wife and tie-up buddy are in the same room.

I wish you all the best and some hot jungle love.
This can be a frequent occurrence, if I neglect to prepare. I always make sure I've eaten, some extra with no bolus, at least 15 - 25 carbs, so the drop doesn't happen. I also keep a bottle of juice or chocolate almond milk near the 'landing pad'. It helps to have an understanding partner. If it happened during 'the act', I'd just laugh and say, 'hold that thought', take in some sustenance and take up where we left off. The longer you've had the big 'D', the more you learn to anticipate and prepare for some things.
Best of luck!
I've definitely experienced this before, BUT I've had diabetes since I was very little, so it didn't freak me out as much. My course of action was to keep skittles in my purse. Another idea is to involve "sexy" high carb snacks - chocolate covered strawberries, or frosting licked off of her body, or caramel, etc. The skittles can be used in the same manner - erotic, effective, and so beyond queer, can you imagine? Taste the..rainbow ;] Not meaning to be vulgar by any means, so I apologize if this is TMI.
". . . I apologize if this is TMI." Au contraire! I love it!

I'm tickled that folks continue responding to this thread... and, I have since become much smarter about all this.

It helps, too, that my partner is not only very understanding, but takes a moment to check in and remind or ask me if I need to poke or drink. She'll even crack open the juice bottle -- how selfless is THAT?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service