i found this interesting about cinamon & type 2 diabities
check this out
American scientists have claimed that a teaspoon of cinnamon a day may help prevent the onset of diabetes.

The common spice could help millions of sufferers of Type II, non-insulin dependent diabetes. This condition usually develops in middle-age and prematurely kills 100 million people around the world every year. Type II diabetes causes cells to lose their ability to respond to insulin, the hormone that tells the body to remove excess glucose in the bloodstream. If glucose builds up in the blood, tiredness, weight-loss and blurred vision are some of the resulting symptoms. In extreme cases this can lead to blindness, heart disease and premature death.

Data from the Agricultural Research Unit in Maryland was first published in the New Scientist in August 2000. The researchers found that cinnamon rekindled the ability of fat cells in diabetics to respond to insulin and greatly increased glucose removal. It is believed that a substance in cinnamon called MHCP is the main reason for its beneficial results.

When mice were given MHCP, their glucose levels fell dramatically and tests on humans have begun this year. The researchers are so confident that cinnamon will have the same dramatic effect of reducing insulin tolerance in humans they recommend that type II diabetics should take a quarter to one full teaspoon of cinnamon per day.

Many Type II diabetics have already found a new feeling of well-being and improvement in health by using this simple cinnamon supplementation in their diet. Cinnamon has long been known as an "energizing" spice, and it is likely that increasing the intake of this common and cheaply available food will benefit even non-diabetics, if used as a daily energizing tonic.

The insulin resistance that leads to type II diabetes develops relatively slowly as the body ages and even those who have not yet experienced severe symptoms may have some degree of elevated insulin resistance.

Cinnamon is also a rich source of magnesium, which is essential for maintaining bone density, electrolyte balance, certain enzyme functions and many other crucial biochemical processes. Magnesium is also linked to the more dramatic forms of diabetes that occur earlier in life.

Much research has been carried out to establish a metabolic defect in diabetics that prevents the absorption of magnesium. As cinnamon provides a readily available source of MHCP, magnesium and possibly other beneficial substances it seems like a very cost-effective way of offsetting future health problems related to glucose/insulin imbalances as we grow older.

Cinnamon can be bought inexpensively in a convenient powdered form at almost any food shop and taking it couldn't be easier: just use up to a teaspoon a day in milkshakes or fruit juice.

Views: 511

Replies to This Discussion

I read this as well and get my cinnamon at the Whole Foods Market where it is the freshest for this area. The flavor is so strong it really enhances the taste of things to make it more pleasant. besides getting the benefits from it.
The other day I found whole grain Cheerios with cinamon in it.Glad someone is looking out for us.

Insulin no more . . .

After twenty-five years of taking 26 units of Insulin twice a day I am now Insulin free. Simply by changing my diet my sugars became normal in about two-four weeks and have remained normal for the last nine months. I am/was (?) type 2.
I found myself recently widowed and did not know how to cook. And I have no intension of learning. As I started to eat more raw foods I noticed my blood sugars dropping. My diet is now about ninety percent raw foods; no processed foods, dairy, meats, breads, and sugars. Well, almost none. Daily I do have a baked skinless chicken breast or salmon, unpasteurized honey as a sweetener, and raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, sardines, and cinnamon.
My sugars are normal (6-7.5, rarely in the 5’s or over 8.0) My diabetes doctor recently inspected and tested my feet, saying I did not need to see him anymore.
When I am out for dining I eat what I am served, basically ignoring the diet. Recently I was off my diet for two days. (Six meals plus snacks) The next morning my sugars were normal. Late one night I ate a chocolate bar. Early the next morning my sugars were normal.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service