I have never been active. With all my physical problems I am even less active than before retirement. Do you find that you are more or less active than before you retired?

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, because when I was teaching school, I worked in an old building that had 3 stories, and I was climbing stairs multiple times a day! And I was always on my feet in the classroom. Or walking down the hall for lunch duty. I really need to THINK in order to get activity into my life, whereas before, it just came naturally.
Yes I was less active after retirement. When I first retired I felt so burned out that I didn't want to do much of anything.I just didn't feel like I had the energy. I sat and read. I regrouped. I used to walk our dog. Then when the dog died I stopped walking around the block. I had physical problems as well--arthritis in my knees-- I was in pain and so I was not highly motivated. Anyway over time I gained weight and my "numbers" weren't good---so now I am back in the gym and working out consistently. Plus I am trying to do some activity each day like gardening or even walking around the mall. I know it will take time to undue some of the damage done but I needed to start.
Since my retirement was due to a stroke that left me unable to drive, or even walk at a normal speed, I've been less active since then.
I sure am! Where I live now, it gets colder in the winter. To top that off, I find that my incentive to do ANYTHING active, isn't in me. I have three MP3 players, so I could walk and walk and walk, but there aren't any pretty parks with walkways around here. At least that's my excuse. I do need to get out and do SOMETHING, but my sense of balance has been lost due to an Army training accident, so it's hard for me to do much, anymore... Chaplain ET.
I worked in a very physical job and was always lifting things... I usually spend my days on the computer now...
I think we can conclude that the majority of us are not as active after we retire. For some of us, it's a physical limitation and others of us it is just our age. We can be active in our later years but I don't think we will ever be as active as we were in our younger days.
Which is a polite way of saying that the human body does break down with age. I firmly believe that each of us should do what we CAN, and not be upset about what we CAN'T do. No one's going to get out of this alive, anyway, and in retirement, we should concentrate on quality of life. Exercise is great, but hey, I'm NEVER going to run a marathon, or be a tri-athlete. If I walk around the block a time or two, good enough -- I'm glad I still can. Ask me again in another 20 years, LOL!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service