One thing that I do really like about getting older is the fact that I have turned into a morning person. Now I can get up before the sunrise and greet the day and organize my thoughts. Do you have anything that you really apprieciate about getting older? I know we must have many things to be thankful for. Let's share.

Views: 49

Replies to This Discussion

This was posted at 3:51 am . . . maybe you're a morning person by virtue of staying up all night!
I'll have to give some thought as to the advantages of these 'golden years' . . . all I'm seeing now are senior's discounts and getting into the cat show for half price. .. but then I've been able to do those things for years because my hubby has been a senior for almost 2 decades now. All I can come up with is perhaps a certain modicum of respect from other people - and I'm not sure if this isn't due to some perceived 'reputation' that might have preceeded me. But through my youth I was always the youngest kid - the youngest in the class, youngest on the team, youngest recipient, youngest graduate, youngest youngest youngest! I should have been proud of that status, but instead I found it tiresome after awhile, never having any kind of 'seniority'. Even now, most of my friends are still older than me...I haven't caught up to them yet - but the age differential is decreasing! I find that people tend to listen to what I have to say about some things just because they figure I'm older and therefore must have some experience in this field.... and admittedly, I rarely give an opinion NOT based on some experience, but they don't know that! I guess I just like having this "respect your elders" theory working on my behalf for the first time in memory. Then again, that memory tends to get shorter as I get older .... let's think this out again! Trust Lots to make an old person think first thing in the morning!!
i get up too and it helps me get my head togetther and look for a new day
Yes, I get up early too, it enables me to deal with my emails and if I have a busy day ahead I do a little housework in this time too. The other benefit that I intend to hang on to for as long as possible is that I am still independent.

I like getting up before the sun, too. Did this all the time my children were growing up. They were the first ones to be picked up by the school bus. I don't burn the candle at both ends anymore. Go to bed at 7:30 or 8. I answer my E-mails while drinking wonderful coffee in my new coffee maker my youngest dau and her husband and dau gave me for Christmas. Not into housework anymore except for making my bed, washing dishes and clothes. I will "meet you" at any restaurant.

I like the Seniors Discounts that I get at restaurants and various places. Sizzler's Senior 'age' was 60, so on my 60th birthday, I came into the restaurant, only to be shocked to learn they had recently raised it to 65! I was really annoyed. Now that I am 68, I can get discounts practically anywhere, especially when they see my pepper and salt hair!

I'm the exact opposite! I've been a night person all my life - I believe it's biological - and it was always a struggle for me having to be at work and function so early. Now that I'm partly retired I can stay up as late as I like and sleep till whatever hour I please without being made to feel guilty for being a night person in a day person world. (Most people think we're lazy or somehow decadent!)

But aside from this I like who I am today so much more than I did at 20. I'm so much more comfortable in my own skin. Also more at peace than I was, which I know makes me easier to be around as well.

I feel that way, too, Zoe. At peace. I have learned not to look back and not to look forward. I feel very lucky.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service