Welcome!  Please take a moment to tell us a little about yourself.

I am 61 and medically retired,  I am a Type 1.5.  I was initially diagnosed as a T2 at the age of 50 and spent a few years with BG completely out of contorl until I went to an endo who looked at me and my numbers and said that in fact I was a T1.  I find that as I age the challenges of D have changed.  I hope that this group can give me insight into how to deal with these changes.

Tags: Seniors, groups

Views: 207

Replies to This Discussion

I'm 70 yrs old and a T1 for 25 yrs,on a pump for the last 6 yrs,an avid cyclist for 38 yrs I LOVE cycling and will ride into the"box", if health allows.I have major problems keeping BS high enough while riding to keep me from hypoglycemia,I consume an incredible amount of carbs while riding and have pump on suspend the entire time.Presently experimenting with Performance Drinks to find what works.This condition has gotten worse the last5-8 yrs.
Hi all,

I am 58, I was diagnosed as a type 2 about two years ago.

I was born in Canada, but I have been living in Thailand, near Bangkok for the last six years.

My father was diagnosed when he was in his sixties or seventies and died just after his 84th birthday. As far as I can tell his only other major health problem was circulation in his legs, he used a scooter to get around. I think that may have been the consequence of smoking for about sixty years, though.

My last H1AC1 was 6.4, but I hope to get that down further.(I was once at 8) I try to walk every day, even if it is only to work and back.
My name is Carole and I am 60ish...trying to enjoy my Diabetes life...every morning trying to run this race...Praise the Lord for everyday for keeping me going.
Comment by Len just now
At 7:18am on October 6, 2011, Len said…
Thank you for the "Birthday Wishes ". I am 68 years old and just been diagnosed pre-diabetic 60 days ago. Since 1996 i have been a vegetarian/vegan....high carb / low fat diet. My fasting BG 96-106 and my A1c came out 5.9. Sounds good until i eat my standard diet, which has peaks of 150/160/170/180. So, i'm making the transition to meat, eating chicken, ham and chicken /turkey sausages and low-carbs. Met with a nutritionist and she laid out a 4 smaller meal at 30 carbs max and two fill ins at 15 carbs. My BG has stabilized to a max of BG 140 and under BG 120 @ 2-hours. Appears the i'm lucky for the moment that i caught this disease. My main problem now is my weight was 171 and now its 157 @ 5' 8" height. I keep on losing weight because i can't get to 2000 calories without eating a lot of fat.
The process has been somewhat painful....started off by going to the ADA website and following their recommendations ....what a mistake. Went to Bloodsugar101.com and that got me straight.
Can anyone help with ideas for calories and any other advise

Hi there. I'm Jim Armstrong. I'm 57, and have been diagnosed as a T-2 since I was 39. I started on insulin in February, and now use a pump. Been getting great results with it.

Hello Again! I am reintroducing myself; I have been very busy trying to learn how to better control my system as a Type 1 this year. I do OK and my system is functioning well. I do have some complications: Hashimoto's Thyroid, one kidney removed; benign tumor.

I am 76 yrs young, a Type 1 for 55 years! Live in Oregon, married 56 years, adult son and daughter; am an artist and music hobbiest. Now on an insulin pump after 54 years using MDI. [Medicare denied a pump to me for 15 years]. I like the pump and it has helped some but still not enough.

The problem as I see it is that there is no ONE answer that fits all of us T1 and especially for those of us older, long time diabetics! So, when my BG lowers to between 60-70 occasionally, doctor becomes very concerned and adjusts my pump Settings. I feel great, my lab reports are good,Lipids great, A1c of between 5.8 and 6.2. So why change the Settings?! I realize one can not continue to have lower BG all the time at this level; it will decrease our awareness level eventually. But a BG of 60 - 70 I am alert, and doing just fine! If my BG drops lower than 60, I naturally have a snack and test frequently until my BG is 100. I use a low carb meal plan, test frequently, exercise.

I am wondering if any one else might, after years as a Type 1, have this same issue with slightly lower BGs but not dangerously so? What does your Health Team ask you to do under such circumstances?

Thanks,
Lee

Hi!

I have been in TuD for a little while but just now found this group. I am T2, about to turn 62 (Social Security! Yay!). Diagnosed 17 years ago, controlled (sloppily) all this time with diet, exercise, and pills; glyburide at first and then much later, metformin. I am a Bernstein disciple and preparing to start insulin. My choice, had to talk my doctor into it.

Other things about me . . . well, it's all in my profile if you're curious. So . . . hello! I've already learned what a marvelously supportive community this is. It's good to be here.

I will be turning 65 next month so start Medicare on Nov 1. I am a LADA (mis-diagnosed first as gestational diabetes and then as type 2) and have been diabetic for 36 years. I have used insulin since I was correctly diagnosed as a Type 1 (LADA was not a label back then but my endo did refer to me as a type 1.5) and have been using a pump for the past 16 years. I am the happily married mother of 6 kids with my 9th grandchild due next Spring and my last unmarried child getting married next week.

Hi, Carole, and welcome to Seniors with Diabetes. I too am LADA, diagnosed at age 52 (14 yrs. ago) I use a MM523 and have been pumping since 2007.

Herewith, an update. Since I first posted here, I have been using insulin for just over 3 months. In that time my A1c has gone from 7.1 to 5.7. That isn't where I want it -- yet -- but I sure do like the trend. Wish I had done this years ago.

Hi all,
I'm 60 years old, have been diagnosed about 3 years, on insulin, and have since January I have been fervently working to get control of my Diabetes type 2.

Jenna

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service