So many people have the luxury of deciding if they will see the doctor or not. As diabetics we do not have that luxury. No matter how good you are, or how aware you are, nothing can substitute for seeing the doctor.

I speak from experience, I went over 20 years without seeing a doctor, and during those years of self medication I was afraid, ashamed, disgusted and angry with myself.

Today I see more than 15 doctors because of the damage done. As one wise doctor told me, it is a pay me now or pay me later proposition.

Of course we do not have time, our Alc is nto perfect, we have gained weight, or whatever the excuse. I ended up dodging the doctor for 20 years, and now see them constantly.

It is an uneven bargain. Save the hassle when your fifty, see the doc when your iffy.

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

Rick, You are the message I need to hear. I have been avoiding the Dr. for over a year now.
My A1C has NEVER been right and I'm getting too old to want to fix it.
I'm only 54, but I've had D for 42 years. I have every excuse but none of them fit.
I need to get to the Doctor and use the team they have to get me back in shape.
I play it like a gamble. I was the best diabetic for soooo many years.
Now it costs, it costs changes, work time, so much attention, and sheer frustration.
Thanks for the way you put it.
I hope it spurs me in the right direction.
Good luck with all that's on your plate. Mary
You know Mary, It was so hard to reenter the diabetic care world. I even had to see a therapist to get me back in after 20 years. Here is what I found, It was ok. My new endo (my other one had died, yes died) welcomed me back in. He picked right up. He is good friend now and I enjoy seeing him. He told me, you went 20 years + by yourself. I will respect that, and he always has.

Rick
You know carol, I can understand that, I went to a doc who wanted me to give up insulin and do a liquid diet or papaya juice and vitamins for 30 days. I got out ASAP and never went back. I suppose my advice could be altered by saying go to a good doctor.

Rick
Doctors haven't done me any good although they've tried. I'm on120 units of Lantus daily and Humulim R for a total of 10+ shots a day and I can't get it under control. I'm not over weight but I'm losing my ability to walk. It started with extreme weakness in my legs but now I've developed serious pain in my Achilles tendons. The pain runs up both legs and is pretty severe.
The pain is hard to describe but it almost feels as if all my tendons are shrinking? I stopped the Lyrica and all the other pain meds over a year ago and try to deal with it. To be honest after my Doctor said they couldn't do anything about the neuropathy I kind of loss hope.
It's to the point where I've lost all feeling throughout my body but somehow I feel everything, it's hard to explain really.My not too distance furture is a wheelchair.
I don't know if this is the place to ask a question but my eyes are a little bad as well, so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place. Does any one know of any treatment for Neuropathy and has any one ever heard of diabetes affecting the Achilles tendons. I accept what is happening, but if there is a way to relieve the pain or progression it would be nice. Thank you for your time. Kevin
Kevin:

I am sorry you are having this issue. I want to address two issues. First you can post questions wherever you want, however most folks on the site are not reading these posts everyday, so I woudl suggest you post more int he main area of the site. While I also have a nasty case of nuropathy I am not a good source of treatment information, but others on these boards are very knowledgeable. So I would take the posting to another area of the board for a broader prospective and better answers.

Now to answer the question, I have heard of alternative treatment using ultrasound. I have not used these largely because they are not routinely covered by insurance. But, having said that I do know people who swear by it. Basically it is pretty easy to have done. One goes to a doctors office and has the treatment I have heard as many as 10 in a series. I briefly looked online for a link and could not find one, but again I suspect if you ask on the main board someone might know how it works and if it works for them.

I wish you the very best

Rick Phillips
oops forgot one other thing. You might really want ot consider a pump. I went form 5-8 shots daily to a pump and I love it.

Rick Phillips
Thanks for your advice. I've never heard of that treatment.
Hi Rick:

I gotta say, you're idea is Tops. Whether it be for Good or Bad, at the beginning or the end, we're gonna need to see a Dr. one way or the other.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service