Life isn't just about numbers. Type 1 kids have to do what they need to do to stay health. This includes mentally healthy.

We all need to understand it is OK to hate diabetes. What is a more prominent symbol of their diabetes than the ever present meter and its numbers?

Kill the Beast!

Totally surprise your type 1 family member by stopping the car, getting the meter out and running it over. Kill the meter. If running it over with the car does not do it, smash it with a hammer or a rock.

Let your family know it OK to dislike diabetes - take it out your frustrations on a meter!

Think Wack a Mole with out a padded wacker. Gallagher were are you when we need you?

My great thanks to Joe at Friends For Life for suggesting this. I for one am convinced it helps. (It helps to have a backup meter before you sacrifice one to mental health too, reality sucks.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liJBgjJ16-o&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fww...

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

I seriously cannot tell you how many times I've wanted to do this. Great tip about letting people know it's okay to react to the diagnosis, or to the daily struggles of it. I've had so many people tell me that I'll live with this ugly disease. I know I'll be okay, it's just a matter of needing to get all my worries and angst about it at once.
This was made on Joe Solowiejczyk's advice, well more like an adlib in one of his presentations. A brilliant adlib. Joe is a diabetes psychology rocket scientist.

Making it did Delaney wonders.

http://www.ydmv.net/2008/08/smash-your-meter-on-youtube.html
i am going to have to disagree. you have to live with this thing for the rest of your (or their) life. it will be ultimatly frustraing hating this enemy and the enemy always wins. i think that reality is living with this thing. it is a limitation, but it is not a hinderance. i have three diabetic children (as am i) and this sort of approch is not helpful. anger may be healthy in an acute setting, but you are talking about long term anger. that is not healthy
For us this was a short term release not anything long term. For her it was an unexpected way of very concretely saying I would rather her not have this thing too.

I don't view diabetes as an enemy, particularly one that that is winning, let alone always winning. I think we are winning by laughing at it and using that laughter to motivate doing what needs to be done to get good A1Cs.

Our view is we don't have to like diabetes to do diabetes care well. If we are gonna live with it, we are gonna laugh at it.

Your Diabetes May Vary
what i mean by always winning. is it does not let up. i do not know how to instill hatred for a long term thing, just for the short term
i hate my diabetes, always have, always will, it took me a while to figure out that i would never be able to "love my diabetes" as some nurse somewhere long ago suggested would be the best way to cope with it. she wasnt diabetic...

(talk about denial; manufacturing phony emotions to deal with a chronic disease? ridiculous!)

it wasnt until i came to terms with my hatred of my disease, and also feeling betrayed by my body, that i took real steps towards better control. its a cathartic response perhaps, but it may steer you in the right direction...

i think i have a few old meters lying around from way back...hmmm ;)
I'll never forget the day I scared my college housemates when I threw my meter against the wall and broke it after my third straight 'bad day'. So much negative emotion quickly became a laughing moment. :)

I hate feeling like I have to sometimes have to 'hide' emotion toward it only because there's a good chance others won't understand. It's so refreshing to just vent and let it out.
Yeah, thankfully the guys I live with, I've known since I was three, and they understand the condition as best they can without having it. I wouldn't want to think about living with a stranger just for that reason. It's bad enough when professors, co-workers, etc. make incorrect assumptions and judgments. There's no way I could live with that at home. Even though my housemates aren't diabetic, they are an unbelievable support for me, and make it so much easier managing and living with it.
This is one of by biggest concerns at my son grows, will he be around people who get it? So far his peers are outstanding. He was at a friends and went (big time) low playing a video game. The kids he was with instantly divided themselves in to three groups, one went for a soda, one called us on the phone and the third found the parents in the house. (one happens to be a doctor....)

Anyway that was very cool and made me feel great about his friends.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service