My husband was diagnosed with diabetes a little more than a year ago. We’ve learned a lot in that time, but the biggest help for us is simply knowing one thing.

If it’s in the house, we’ll eat it.

Willpower is great, but it’s largely a myth as well! Try resisting those cookies or ice cream after a stressful day. Best of luck with that.

We’ve learned the hard way, if we don’t want to eat sugar- and carb-laden foods, then they had better not be anywhere in the house. Yes, that means the non-diabetics in the house have to learn to eat that way as well.

http://myweightlossforlife.com/2009/04/11/simple-steps-for-health-s...

Views: 25

Replies to This Discussion

Oh man...SO TRUE! Yep, I agree, and I too have commendable willpower...but hey, we're human. If it's under my nose, and looks and smells like cheese Doritos....it's history.
Aside from getting weak in the knees over his fav. junk nummies, how is your husband faring?...and the rest of the family? Are things getting easier. Have you connected with any of the groups? Take care Joanie...luv, linda.
Joanie,

I have been telling my wife that for 6 years. She is not a diabetic and likes to have unwise things around for her. I try very hard to stay away and for the most part manage to do so. Where I fail is when my wife feels I have been a "good boy" and decides to reward me with a slice of pie or a brownie. I just can't find a way to say no. I know I don't need the stuff, I know eating it will have an impact on my control and glucose levels, but that is the logical rational man speaking. Tragically in this circumstance, the three year old in me takes over and just eats the bad stuff.

I equate this to offering heroin to an addict or a drink to a drunk. All of us addicts can manage to do pretty well if we remove ourselves from the environment, but the moment we have the object of our affection shoved at us, we fall. I realize this is not an absolute and we all manage to say no for a while, but I really feel trapped by this ongoing circumstance. When I explain to my wife that her affectionate act is actually killing me, she gets testy and tells me to not be over dramatic.

I wish I had an effective solution for this. I have tried conversation and the classic sharing of vital information. She does not take this well. Its rugged as she thinks she is being nice and I can't manage to convince her that her kindness is taking a dramatic toll on my health. I want to close with one thought. I KNOW this problem is mine and not hers, but it would be much appreciated if I could get some support in this struggle!

GREAT comment.
Attachments:
Yes...that can be so very frustrating Bill...getting your wife online here is not likely to work...how about a live support group in your area? There, she can get it "from the horse's mouth" so to speak! It often has more of an impact when it doesn't come from the spouse/relative etc. To hear how others with D are affected..their strugles etc. Take care, linda.
Shop on the outer perimeter of the market. That's where you find fresh foods fr. the six food groups. Don't buy food that lists the first, second, or third ingredient as sugar, fat or salt. Stay away fr. foods containing BHT, BHA, hydrogenated oils, artificial colors and by-products. My immediate family and friends have the same diet as me, and they don't have diabetes. I enjoy bread that tastes like bread, and not cake. Therefore I made cornbread fr. scratch. I want control over my ingredients. When I'm invented to a home for dinner I take a side dish that's nutritious for everyone to sample. I don't allow people yo bullied me into eating something that will affect my blood sugar, and I don't explain anything unless asked. one pound of Buffalo burger which is 2% fat laast 3 weeks in my home. I shred carrots, chopped broccli florets and spinaxh, minced garlic, green/red bell pepper. tumeric, and fresh basil, and ground mustard. This recipe makes 10 two ounce burgers. I've even altered dessert recipes and used fruit or 50% less sugar.
That burger recipe sounds divine!
I have four sisters and I'm the only diabetic. My mother never made separate meals. You don't have to rid the frig of cookies, you have to select cookies that don't effect the bloodsugar too much, and eat in moderation. If my mom bought ice-cream, she explained the number of servings in the carton and number of weeks it should last providing we didn't eat it everyday. This should be done w/ peanut butter, cookies, etc.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service