Hi.. I am currently on an insulin pump and still have some high bg levels .. am trying to get this down .. dr says I must eat right .. I try to do that... it is hard when you have little money to get the right foods... I am also losing wt and my endo. is not cooperating with me.. thats how I feel but we will see what she says come tue.. thanks for listening...

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

Try ajusting your basal rate. Is it at a current time every day? This was happening when i first got on the pump and put me in the hospital for 2 days jsut to see what was going on (this was the only way my insurance would pay for me to see him everyday)
Also my CDE is also my pump trainer (as well as on the pump herself) So that helps ALOT!
Hope this helps.
I eat lots of salad with oil and wine vinegar as dressing. Its cheap and has very little carbs.
I do the same as Chuck. A few times I week, that's what I live on. Especially when I'm at home and I need to cook something. Use a dressing of 2 parts extra virgin olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar. It's darn tasty.
I love balsamic vinegar, but it has a little bit of sugar in it. I have been able to find some other dressing, such as blue cheese that contain little or no sugar.
The other thing I use sometimes is bacon bits.
I do that too, balsamic is my favorite. Throw a little grilled chicken breast in there and it's quite a tasty meal.
lol i dont kno how u guys could eat so little lol, i eat twice what anybody in my family eats and i still fit in 30 inch waist jeans lol, but ye doin your own fresh cooking is the best thing for you, you know exactly what you are eating so you have better control and when u cook and prepare from fresh it will cost a lot less than buying frozen foods aswell as u can make extra for the next day, not to mention its enjoyable and if you do all your own cooking you can impress a lot of people if you invite them round for a meal
It will be good if you can provide us your BG for a day and the basal rate u r using. From your profile i understand that you have been a diabetic for 20 years and u r T2. It is very hard to advice tuning the pump with out having a day's worth of bg levels and ur body weight.

If you are using a single basal rate then try using multiple profiles. I mean after being diabetic that long some times the body's absorption rate for insulin changes during different times of day. Especially starting in the evening hours. may be u can use a different profile (increase the basal rate) from 3:00PM to 12:00 midnight. I am not sure how many times u r testing in a day or id you have any hypos during the day.
If you have some high Bg levels it means there is a good chance that u r also having lows during some of the day. After 20 years ur body probably is used to lows and hence may be u r not feeling them any more. The rule is "Correct ur lows and highs will follow the correction."

So if u r having lows in the mornings, then set a lower basal rate from 12:00 mid night to 6:00AM in the morning.

Also probably you will have to tweak your insulin to carb ratio.

But its hard to decide with out back ground info!!!!!
Well I don't know if this will help any but I have lived with high sugars all my life when I was younger they would be up in the 7 or 8oo's and I was still walking around your body can take a lot and we really do program ourselves on how we live on our sugars. They do not get that high anymore after I had my son I have kept them lower they do still hit 400 and I have to take insulin and lay down for a bit til they get back down. This however is because I eat large portions, with all the restaurants trying to give you more for your money and the all you can eat buffets I think women have forgotten we don't need to eat as much as a man. I know if I could just get it through my head that three meals a day does not mean a 4 course meal but maybe half a sandwich and some veggies then I could really make a difference in my weight, my health and my blood sugars. I also know if I get up when my sugars are high and do some fast dancing to the radio or get on a bike they will immediately come down. Have I even come close to helping a bit or did I get off topic, well I hope I helped I better get to bed now much love everyone April

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service