Hey all... I am just about to get started on Symlin... The purpose for me going on this is to help even out my weight again... I've gained about 15 lbs that I cannot lose with just diet and exercise... My endo said that I will feel nauseate while getting ramped up on it. I would love to hear more from those of you that are on it currently... Any advise?

Thanks!

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

Also, I'm a T1... :)
Also, for those of you that have experienced nausea.... Was it to the point of vomiting or just a sick feeling?
Hi
I am a type 1 diabetic, have an insulin pump and cgm. I have been on symlin for a few years. When I first started on it, I took small doses of it and built up my tolerance as directed by my endo. I never once felt nauseated but did notice within a couple days that I couldn't eat as much as I was used to eating. Cut in half, actually. I lost a few stubborn pounds that I could never lose before. Now I think the affect has worn off. But my endo says I can not increase the dose- 60 mcg. Good luck with it!
Thanks! I appreciate the info... :) I'm really nervous about the nausea... I hate vomiting... lol...
Well I am a Type 2 and I have been on Symlin for about a month and a half and I had no nausea from it but I took it in the smallest does for about 4 days then went up to the 30 that I am at now. i was on it a few years ago and dont remember if i had probs with it then on not but i do know the feeling as i was previously on, Victoza and Bieta(not sure how to spell it) and with both of them I was sick.

Best of luck and dont be afraid to try it.
Thanks for the info!
Also, I'm not sure, do you just take it with full meals or with snacks too???
My rule of thumb is anything over 30 g carb, but generally I use it 3 times a day for sure, sometimes 4.

Here's something to keep in mind. For some people, Symlin helps them lose weight because it can curb appetite - for others, it helps them lose weight simply because they are able to cut the insulin in half - I am in this second category. I am highly insulin resistant and it was the insulin itself that put pounds on me so when I cut the insulin (a fat building hormone), I lost weight.

Good luck.
http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/a-practical-symlin-guide-for

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service