I'm interested in pumping symlin in a backup pump, but I'm curious as to how to convert the mcg to units. If I load it and keep it on a very low basal rate (say, .0025) until I need to bolus it, what do you bolus to equal the 15mcg?
I know sometimes the pen dosages do not exactly equal what they would in syringe units from a vial, so I just wanted to be sure of the correlation before trying to use a second pump.
Thanks.

Views: 278

Replies to This Discussion

I'm also interested in this idea, but my hangup with it is that I wouldn't know how to get enough pumping supplies (infusion sets & reservoirs)... I figure I would go through my backup supply pretty quickly and then not be able to get enough more. Just curious how you plan to handle this if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks and good luck. I'm sorry I can't help with the conversion to units. There used to be some pages on the Symlin.com web site that had *similar* information, but not really the same. And they used to sell Symlin in vials that were measured in units, but I think those have been discontinued in favor of the pens now.

The way my supplies were shipped with my backup pump, I have tons, and I don't want it to expire. And the teeny basal rate would be just to keep the tubing from clogging.

Also, why the low basal rate instead of no basal at all (just curious!)? Thanks!

I would imagine that much as insulin can be diluted (as can be the case for small children with type 1 diabetes), the same process can apply with Symlin. A very qualified pharmacist can be very useful (good luck finding one, they can't be found everywhere). Children With Diabetes has a thread on this subject at http://goo.gl/EX6rQ and CDE Extraordinaire Gary Scheiner writes about this under the heading "Creativity" http://goo.gl/DN5jq, and also in the book "Think Like a Pancreas". The specifics on how this can be done can also be discussed with a good endocrinologist, but I would advise that you may need to demand their help!

I did the conversion because I was curious when I started Symlin a month ago. Math ahead.

My Symlin pen says that it has 1000mcg per mL. I use 100-U insulin, which means that there are 100 units per mL. This means that 1 unit, in terms of volume, is 1/100 mL. Going back to the Symlin, if you multiply 1000 mcg/mL by .01 mL/unit gives you 10 mcg per unit.

So, if you wanted to give yourself 60 mcg of Symlin, using pump or a 100 U syringe, you would "draw up" 6 units.

That's the same calculation as I got; glad to know it might be right...

Yes, these calculations are correct. Gary Scheiner told me this himself and I checked with my endo. I inject the symlin with syringes now because I use 90 mcg (9 units on the syringe) and the pen only allows 60 or 120. There is a man on this list who uses two pumps.(QUE I believe) I rather do the shots than work with more infusion sites. I have enough trouble finding good sites for the insulin to be absorbed well.

Thanks! great. Gary would know. why do you use 90? (just curious). I've just started with the pen this month and now up to 60. I haven't put it in a pump but was thinking about it. has anyone tried disconnecting the insulin pump and using the same insertion site for symlin, using another pump?

I actually used the 60 mcg for a year and then my body got used to it and it wasn't having the desired effects. So I wanted to increase some but the 120 was much too much and caused lows. For you 60 may be fine. One lady wrote that she used 75 mcg and did it by injecting first the 60 and then the 15, but she has the smaller pen. She had to get 8 pens at a time. I prefer the larger ones that have only 60 and 120. I tried "guessing" an amount and often had lows so I want to be exact.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service