I've only recently tried applying the TAG principles to my blood glucose management. This morning I decided to have a cup of decaf coffee and I used sugar-free hazelnut creamer and hazelnut flavored Splenda. I checked the labels carefully - or so I thought - and my BG was 98. An hr later my Dexcom is sending an alarm and I check it. I have the single arrow indicating a "rise". Checked my bg and it was 175 :( :( I sure don't have to drink flavored coffee but I still would like to know what I did wrong? Is it the caffeine, the artificial flavor or the phase of the moon??

Views: 238

Replies to This Discussion

When it comes to coffee, I have learned over time that we all seem to be very, very different.

Quite frankly - I don't use TAG for my coffee cream because even black coffee can raise my BG a bit. I use a fat free half & half, liquid Splenda and various types of scrumptious coffees.

It's just not something I'm willing to budge on! So, in the mornings, I just bolus anywhere from .40 to .75 unit (depending on my waking BG) to cover my first couple of cups - after that, it doesn't seem to be a problem - but if it is, I simply bolus just a touch. I loves me some coffee! Think I'll go get a cup right now..........
I drink coffee all day, with a tsp of 1/2 &1/2 and a tbsp of whipped cream (> 1 cho). I don't bolus for it, I think my basal is set to cover it LOL
It may also be that it is morning. I usually drink coffee in the morning w/ just splenda but even on mornings I don't or when I don't drink the coffee until later, my BS still rises like a delayed DP...because I've had coffee later in the day w/ not much of a noticeable effect, especially if it's decaf. I've also heard the decaf has some caffeine and if you don't drink regular coffee you may be more sensitive to the effects than someone who does.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service