He was a PE teacher multiple awards from the State "Teacher of the Year". She was an Elementary School Teacher. Both worked in the same Public School System. with a little over 40 years experience (her 10+/- him 30+/-) between them. Having been friends with both for many years I asked them one night going into dinner if either respectively would allow diabetic kids to test in their classrooms?

Their answer (and the vehimence) was literally appalling to me... Both adamently refused to let "any kids" test in their respective class rooms, regardless of the medical necessity.

They relageted that as being ONLY the nurse's pervue... the lancet devices were dangerous "weapons" (they meant it literally), the potential for communicable diseases via the "blood splatter", etc., etc. Two people who in all other respects were sane, rational individuals and worthy of my respect.... in that I felt were insane, dead wrong. I was pretty elliquent, framing and eliminating their IMHO irrational fears. They were intransigent... would not be budged for any reason. Thankfully/otherwise, they eventually married and moved elsewhere.

It took me completely off guard and was difficult to not be "rightous" with them over it. I let it go.... but muttering under my breath. The ADA was definately in place but they would hear nothing of it, and were confident they were on safe ground in their position.

Is their thinking understandable to you as teachers???

Stuart

Tags: behaviors, classroom, diabetis, students, testing

Views: 62

Replies to This Discussion

Useless!
I read a story about a young girl on a pump who had a substitute teacher who was made aware of the fact she was diabetic and on a pump. She then proceeded, in class, to snatch the pump from the student, while telling her off about having an Ipod on in class and walking away. The pump was still attached to the girl. The girl and friends in her class were yelling at the teacher to stop. The teacher claimed not to of heard them.
Another story of a type 1 student in early primary (elementary) school who was told to stop making a big deal of diabetes because its not like he would die from it. He was hypo at the time!!!
With all the various health issues present in a classroom these days I think that teachers education should include a dedicated class to address this.
Well said....and though some DE are likely well informed; the one who came to our school to educate the teachers directly involved with the two 4 year olds with D., made a shocking statement. I happened to walk through the staff room toward the photocopier while this session was in progress, and one of the teachers upon seeing me stated that "we have 2 teachers on staff with diabetes". The DE asked me what type mine is, I said type 2....to which she replied with a wave of her hand "Oh, that's nothing", dismissing it as completely irrelevant. She knows NOTHING of me....doesn't know if I'm on meds or insulin, how I'm managing, how long I've had it, if I have complications....but I'll tell you one thing this diabetes "educator" did....she educated the staff in that room! As far as they are all concerned, type 2 is nothing more than a booboo. So if I were ever to dipp into a low....who would even make a connection!
And did you engage her? Dangerous stupity has to be confronted the same way its presented. Was her presentation intelligent beyond her idiotic lapse?

Stuart
Last time I checked you folks had potentially dozens of kids in eac and every class. While I like the sentiment by the time you finished with each respective condition you were presented in a single term, you'd have an RN degree too, no : / ???

Any links for either horrible story, they would be a good "blog pieces" for discussion...
Stuart
Have been pumping now for three months and diabetic for 19 years. I teach 5th grade math/science and my students love this diabetes stuff. The challenge of my ratios, I.O.B., stress factors, basal, body responses, calculations, predictions, planning... Including them in my own diabetes education has strengthened their critical thinking abilities! We never are allowed to use my diabetes as an excuse for MY or THEIR behaviors. Yet, they have learned the fine skill of compassion.

For example, just last week, my alarm went off for the post meal sugar check. I pushed the button and ignored it. 15 minutes later, a very sweet, but bashful, student said, "Mrs. Young, not to be mean, but you really need to check your sugars." I barked, "What makes you think that!" She quietly replied, "cuz your talking kinda' fast and your a lil crabby." I said OK. Checked them and they were 36!!! The class refused to participate in the lesson until I got them up to 70 :) They were ready to go to Plan B...Get help from the teacher next door. We talked about all of the things they did right and not about what I did wrong. They know that lows are a part of my world and have the compassion/respect to help me handle them. The adult world lacks this immensely!

This of course earned my class their last banana on the Most Respectful Response board and we celebrated w/ a big ol' Banana Split Party!!! I watched cuz' I still stink at counting carbs! :)
Awww Suzanne.....your kids a so sweet (no pun intended there!)
Stuart giggling at the amazing beauty of Suzanne's class and even more so maybe at how she seems to use those events... to teach...!

Bravo!
Stuart
That is awesome! What a great class! Mine also take an interest in my blood sugars and are quick to tell me when Lucas leaves his crate to alert me.
Well, this a very interesting discussion. Now, I know I am budding here with something off topic. I don't normally test my BG in the classroom I try to do it at break time or at 11 because it would be around two hours after my last meal. Anyway, I was trying to hide in the home ec room when two little ones came walking in to get snack. They took one look at me and started asking questions..all I said was that I had to check something. ( I normally hide my meter) Looking unimpressed by my answer the kids left the room. Not a second later one of kids came back with a band-aid for me!

Should I just open up and check my BG in the back of the classroom? I'm an assistant and well it is not fair that I run out the room whenever I need to check..work isn't always predictable. Plus, the whole bathroom thing. I really need to get control! I can go up to 3-5 times just in the morning! This is not good!
You know....I always chequed in the classroom, and I must say that in all the 8+ years I've been at the school, I've only spotted 5 or so kids being "aware" of what I was doing....and out of that, only 2 asked what I was doing! So my sense is, unless you're standing on your desk, declaring it to the world, all the while sporting a racy bikini......most won't notice! The nano fraction that DOES, open the door to a huge spectrum of discussions. So.....go for it!
You said that only 5 or so noticed that is not bad at all. I don't think I would attempt to do check a kindergarten class because it is always too busy. But, the morning with my older students in grade 1 it should be alright then. I will have to give the teacher/friend a heads up before I do it.

Thursday will be a fresh start...wish me luck.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service