He was a PE teacher multiple awards from the State "Teacher of the Year". She was an Elementary School Teacher. Both worked in the same Public School System. with a little over 40 years experience (her 10+/- him 30+/-) between them. Having been friends with both for many years I asked them one night going into dinner if either respectively would allow diabetic kids to test in their classrooms?

Their answer (and the vehimence) was literally appalling to me... Both adamently refused to let "any kids" test in their respective class rooms, regardless of the medical necessity.

They relageted that as being ONLY the nurse's pervue... the lancet devices were dangerous "weapons" (they meant it literally), the potential for communicable diseases via the "blood splatter", etc., etc. Two people who in all other respects were sane, rational individuals and worthy of my respect.... in that I felt were insane, dead wrong. I was pretty elliquent, framing and eliminating their IMHO irrational fears. They were intransigent... would not be budged for any reason. Thankfully/otherwise, they eventually married and moved elsewhere.

It took me completely off guard and was difficult to not be "rightous" with them over it. I let it go.... but muttering under my breath. The ADA was definately in place but they would hear nothing of it, and were confident they were on safe ground in their position.

Is their thinking understandable to you as teachers???

Stuart

Tags: behaviors, classroom, diabetis, students, testing

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

Will you attempt to hide what you're doing, or like myself go for a "devil-may-care" approach and let the chips fall where they may, thus opening the door to questions?
Please let me know how it all turns out!
luv.....linda
Well, no one noticed on Thursday. But they did notice today. I didn't really hide the meter or anything. I did my thing and one kid gave me a funny look. Then later on during our group time I had a student ask me why I was carrying a cell phone holder. I told them it wasn't and that it had a tester in it. Of course the table wanted to see..I opened it up and they showed some interest. Then the same student told me that his grandma had the same thing. He said that those are only for old people! Now, I am in my twenties so I had to keep my cool and just smile. So far so good!
Hey perfect! Great opportunity to explain that people of any age can have diabetes....even people THEIR age.
I have now done my first "mini" talk about diabetes to a group of 6-7 year olds. After watching me poke my finger, check the number and explain what everything was the kids were pretty good.
How did they respond?
Hi Linda,

I know it has been awhile..I was all excited before about explaining my meter to the kids..but I have run out of steam and now I am just telling them I am allergic to sugar. It is short and sweet. (Also, my friend/co-worker are having some stressful times at work so, she is not always as open for me to test anymore. ) This is not bothering me as much. I usually don't want to see the numbers at this time..they are always high. =(
"...Do I look OLD... to you...?" No reason to get wound-up.

As for your friend not being "open"... what exactly does that mean? If YOU need to test, then we test. You can always make the choice about IF, when and where it happens. IF you don't want to for whatever reason then don't... period. But if you do then go ahead.

And for the ~record~ "they" are usually high.... ; )
Hmmmm....your friend, though she may be going through a rough spot at work, has no right to make it difficult for you to test.
You shouldn't be testing because she feels open to it....you should be testing because it's your lifeline. And if you generally run higher at that time of day, the more the reason to test!
You need to be assertive about this Carly....no one can prevent you from testing.If she's your friend, she won't mind you explaining it to her.
Best of the best......linda
Carly, Carly, my dear Carly... Do not hide diabetes. This could kill you. You have "Juvenile Diabetes" so LET THEM SEE THE KID IN YOU! :) As teachers with this funkified disease we have such a great opportunity to get kids not only interested in the medical field, but also use their education for real life. Be Bold. Be Strong. So you can most importantly Be Healthy. As I understand it, you work with lil' ones. Work with your co-teacher to set up a smiley/frowney face chart on which you test at the same time each day and have the students help you decide which sticker you get based on your individual target range. Test at the same time each day. Talk about the foods you had, the insuling you took. Ask for their suggestions...Of course some will be WAY off, giggle and then teach them. This can be such a great accountibility time for you. I sometimes play the Archies song Sugar,Sugar for my 5th graders when I've had a perfect target day. Your lil' ones well quickly become your biggest cheerleaders. They want Miss Carly to win the game! Fair is getting what you need, not doing what someone else wants. It may take a month for them to get the daily routine down, as well as your co-teacher. You are bigger. You are stronger. You are wiser than those w/out diabetes, and especially a 6 year old. Show them the right way to deal with an illness! If your co-teacher isn't up to it, well, tell her I said she's a HAG! Seriously, you have to test!
Yes-in my classroom! Just thought I'd share a funny from yesterday...One of my classes has been so awesome all week so we were just 'playing' math on the smart board. I have one student who rarely says anything and when he does it's barely audible. Well not yesterday! Every comment that came out of his mouth was hilarious and was said with such total self control. With my twisted sense of humor, I decided he was weird and that he needed the nurse to fix him... he went to the nurse and simply told her "My teacher said that I needed to come down here for help" He did not elaborate! She said "who's your teacher?" Next thing I know -- nursey is at my door with her emergency pac -- glucogen pen, gluco tabs, coke, phone... so was the secretary, and THE PRINCIPAL!! I wanted to die! I forgot that I adimittanly instituted an emergency plan in case of a severe hypo. The plan was that a student would simply go to the nurse and say that help was needed. OOPS!! The secretary left confused, the nurse left with a smile, and I'm pretty sure the principal left mad for the false alarm. Of course I apologized for causing such a worry! Definitely not what I intended! At the end of it all, this kid quietely walked by me and said "well, at least it's good that they followed the plan, but I'd say this funny on me blew up in your face! Does that mean we have to go back to worksheets?" I wanted to slap him :) Oh! I pray that I don't have a severe hypo anytime soon!!
Well...this was either a "Peter Cried Wolf" unfortunate event....or, on the converse, a well executed dry run!!
Likely the latter!

Ouch. Thats funny.... (supressed giggling)

Stuart

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service