In two days I will retire from teaching. It is sad but it is not worth the battle anymore. Standardized tests and paper work. No time to teach kids to think, solve problems or work on leadership. This last years my students test score were the best in the history of this school. But I didn't follow the canned curriculum. the stress has my sugars through the roof and I hate going to work. God bless all of you that are tough enough to keep up the good fight. I am not. good bye./;

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

It sure ain't what it used to be! I retired about 6 years ago, and although I miss the kids, I DON'T miss the administration or the paperwork, or the battles with parents who just can't believe their kid could be less than perfect. I have a friend who works as an ESL aide (and does everything a teacher does, for far less pay), and I can't believe the horror stories she tells me. I'm glad I got out when I did.

And I read a survey on a medical website that said that a significant number of doctors wish they'd gone into education instead. They frickin' don't know what they're talking about!!! :-(
Thank you this has been a bad week and I needed to vent. FJ
Hi FJ. I retired last June and felt like I had run a marathon to get to the end! I was so exhausted and sick. Shortly after I started on the insulin needle and now I work daily to get off it.
There is life after teaching !!!!! You will be so pleased when you realize you dont have to put up with extended curriculum, frustrated parents, and the desire to help but feel helpless. I thought I would miss the daily interactions with the students but guess what. . I LOVE LIFE! There is so much to do and so much to absorb. You will find you cant believe how you feel knowing other poor sainted teachers are writing report cards and you are going to lunch (yet again) and doing what you want.
I have so much I could share with you. If your political at all there is an organization called CARP for retired people. And the dinners and gatherings for Retired Teachers is awesome. No one there talks about the classrooms hehehehe.
If you want to know more I will gladly share. :) There is such a great life you are beginning!
Hi, Sandy,
About insulin -- you do what you need to. If oral meds or even diet and exercise work, great, but if you need insulin, then you take it. It's not the end of the world, nor is it a failure.

Hoping for the best for you! :-)
Tell me more I live in Northern Arizona. My wife is a librian at the local middle school and must work at least 2 more if not 5 more years. I am at loose ends and to be honest a little scared. Thank you. I will google CARP

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service