Hello Everyone,

I know we have talked about this before. I am an EA and I have started to put my health higher on my list again. So, this means checking my BG in classes. It is Monday and it was day one. No one really noticed the first time I checked in my Gr.2 class..but after lunch I was with a small group of students and I couldn't escape. I tested right in front of them....there homeroom teacher was not present today so the Sub was okay with it. Should I just talk to the staff I work with and ask them to be able to duck out for a second or should I just whip my kit out and test in front of the kids? I've done that in the past..but I am not sure how everyone would like that. What are you thoughts as Classrooom Teachers?

(Sorry for all the spelling mistakes too. )

Carly

Views: 250

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I used to test in class when I was teaching (retired now), but it was high school, so I just told the kids to take a short break while I was doing it. Some of them were interested, and wanted me to test their blood (couldn't do it for ethical reasons!), and others just ignored it.

If you're working with teachers, they should definitely know what you're doing and why you're doing it. They should also know about your diabetes just in case something happens. As far as the kids, there needs to be a plan about how to keep them occupied while you test -- it doesn't take long, so some short riddle or some song to sing or something they can enjoy. The only obstacle I can think of is the administration -- mine never knew what I was doing, but you're in a more vulnerable position. But hopefully, they will understand if you talk to them about it. Good luck!

Hi Natalie,

Yes, I have started carrying around a purse or "green bag" around with me. I have even set my phone to alarm now when I need to test. This has been helping me in the afternoons to test. First thing in the morning is still hard for me. I've started sending the students to get a drink or they just watch me test. ( one of the kids thinks it neat every time.) As, for the afternoon class the teacher has told the students that I need my space while I go to the corner of the room to test. They are pretty good about it now. I've only been really high once at work.. I took a student who needed a break on a walk around the school. It was good for the both of us.

Test in front of the kids. I always do. I'm a sub and don't have the option of leaving class. Most of the kids are more knowledgeable than a few healthcare professionals I've met. The kids know about the pump and the meter because someone in the class has a friend or family member who uses one. Sometimes they have questions, so we have a very brief discussion and then back to the lesson plans. At the end of the day, another group has had the myths dispelled and knows a bit more. We are teachers: We educate.

Also, the American Disability Acts ensures your right to test and treat.

I teach 8th grade, and I test in front of my students. They are so awesome about it! In fact when my dexcom alerts me, some kids will even say "you need to check your sugar, Mrs. N". They have realized that I am a human and therefore they respect me more. I'm in no way ashamed- in fact I think neglecting my diabetes would be more shameful. :)

I'm a sub right now and I test in front of the kids. I agree that it is a great way to educate. I have been in situations where it has been discouraged especially for those who are not on insulin. I would fight for the right to test... your health is worth it.

Well, I tested in front of a student I was working with on Tuesday..he questioned me about it. I said I have to see how much sugar was in my blood. He looked worried and then asked if it hurt. Then on Friday he asked me if could try it out. Of course I told him No! So, far no one has really said anything to me. ( I just wanted to give you a quick update.)

It's nice that he cared about whether it hurt you. And he's probably too young to realize the danger of sharing blood-contaminated objects. But sounds like he's a sweet kid! :-)

Hi, this is a new "talk" I just didn't want to make a new discussion.

I tested my sugar while the students were out in Languages. The teacher was fine with it..now, here is a question. Where should I keep my "kit" I move from class to class and I can't always hear my timer go off to check. Plus, one of the students was playing with my whole kit today! Thank Goodness they didn't open it! They were using it as a purse.. ( I will be switching to the black case tomorrow.) It is hot pink right now.

Hope all is well.

T.G.I.F. ( Tomorrow)

Carly

Carly, do you have a backpack or a purse? Your stuff should stay in there at all times, and you should take it everywhere you go. If anyone objects, then inform them of their obligation to accommodate you under the Americans with Disabilities Act. And you should have a safe place to keep it, away from the prying hands of students!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service